threads
Page 1 of 1
Audio/Video \  how to wire ma 1000xl sub to power aucustic amp (?)

how to wire ma 1000xl sub to power aucustic amp (?)

Audio/Video Q & A
views 775
replies 8
following 4

beezeeheezee507   +1y
Edited: 9/24/2009 8:19:21 PM by beezeeheezee507

okay, i have a ma audio 1000xl sub and a power aucustic 2 channel amp. the sub has 4 positive and 4 negative hook ups. the subs rated at 1000w peak and 500w rms.
the amp is:
RMS Power Rating:

4 ohms: 220 watts x 2 chan.2 ohms: 280 watts x 2 chan.Bridged, 4 ohms: 560 watts x 1 chan. Max power output: 1250 watts
what i want to know is what would be the best way to wire the sub ot the amp? and if someone could post a diagram of it that would be awesome!

MrCheetah   +1y

Is that amp 1 Ohm stable?
CLNSHVNnDRAGGN   +1y
Need more info on the sub>  Mainly what ohms it is.
cuznlucky   +1y
From what I could find, your sub is dual 4 ohm. If that is the case the best you can do is wire it 2 ohm but based on the stats you listed your amp isn't bridgeable to 2 ohm stable!! If you try wiring up that sub to that amp 2 ohm mono your gonna nuke that amp or it will go into protect mode if it has it. So give us some more info like the model of your amp, the ohm rating of your sub. But currently from what it looks like to me is you're gonna need a bigger amp to move that sub.
cuznlucky   +1y
Yeah I was afraid I was right in your situation. If you want to use that amp and sub combo you can only wire it in "stereo" without damaging the amp which means your sub is only gonna get 440 watts total which is below the RMS power handling level. What I would do if I was you, is either return the amp if you just bought it or sell it!! What you need is something that is 2 ohm stable either mono or when bridged with a minimum of 500 watts but the closer to or even above 1000 watts would make that sub really come alive. Keep in mind music comes out of any amp as alternating current so you'll never get the full wattage out of an amp unless you run test tones so if you can afford a bigger and better amp do so.  A real easy cheat for figuring if any amp can put out close what it claims is to total up the fuses on the amp then add a 0 to the end. So your amp claims 1250 watts on the case, but two 25 amp fuses = 50, add the 0 to the end and you get 500 watts!!! Which would be enough for your sub but your amp isn't 2 ohm stable when bridged!! Keep in mind that this isn't an exact science but it is more accurate then the 1250 watts Power Acoustic is claiming!! 
beezeeheezee507   +1y
Edited: 9/26/2009 1:14:38 PM by beezeeheezee507

the amp says its 2ohm stable though ?and i hooked it up the other day and it pushes the sub good. but the amp gets pretty warm after like 15 minutes.  so what would you recomend?
cuznlucky   +1y
Your amp is NOT 2 ohm MONO stable, it is 2 ohm stereo stable!!! How did you wire up the sub to the amp? and how much money are you willing to spend? Give me a minute and I'll give you some suggestions! Heading to work!
beezeeheezee507   +1y

i just redid it, i had just the + wire from channel 1 and the - wire from channel 2 going to a + and - set on the sub. but i knew that wasnt right, so i put the - wire to the other side of the sub and put another wire from one of the other + to a - on the sub... i ended up like this:^thats pretty much it. i used 2 of the 4 + hook ups and 2 of the 4 - hook ups on the sub. (the outside ones)
post photo
Page 1 of 1