Page 1 of 1
Audio/Video \  Ported Box For Alpine Type Rs

Ported Box For Alpine Type Rs

Audio/Video Q & A
views 1021
replies 5
following 3

artsar   +1y
Due to my hydro build I've had to rebuild my trunk set up. I have also looked online for this info but can't find a decent answer.

I want to build a ported box for my 2 12" alpine type R Dual 2ohm subs. What size box do I need? I have an MRD-1005 to power the subs 700rms at 4ohm, 1000rms at 2ohm. The boy I have is roughly 1.67 cubic feet (per sub) ported, but its a pre fab box and with the way I have the hydro pumps in, it won't fit.

Any audio guys have some suggestions on a new box? Just looking for some deep bass.
SiLveRProJecT   +1y
well, from the specs on a SWR-1222D (type-r 12" DVC 2 Ohm sub) you only need .75 cu ft of interior volume with a 3" port dia. and 9.9" port length.  But the question is, how much space do you have or are willing to use.  Keep in mind you may want to compensate for port and driver displacement as well if you want to strickly go by the specs.  The following is a website that may help you build the box you want...there are other websites and programs that offer similar info, its up to you to select which one you like the best for your application. http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp  Good luck...
artsar   +1y

only .75 eh. that seems so small. Thats what got me second guessing. That means that my current sub box is about 80% to big and it seems small.

artsar   +1y

anyone else?
supravan   +1y
.75 + .75=1.50 and your box is 1.67 now so thats not 80% to big more like 4% but make the box .83 on each and that will be 1.66 and make sure thats you inside measurements not outside and you shouldnt have to make the port any longer than 9.9 inches and it still will be 3" port or you could build a sealed enclosure and in that case the subs will handle more power unlike ported boxes thats my 2 cents
artsar   +1y

well I only have 1 sub in a 1.6 cub box right now. Also I was just at bestbuy and the box they sell with these subs is like 1.5 for each sub. I'm still surprised that .75 cubs is right. It seems so small
Page 1 of 1