threads
Page 2 of 2
Van Discussion \  Rear end on ASTRO/SAFARI?

Rear end on ASTRO/SAFARI?

Van Discussion Make Specific
views 3115
replies 19
following 12

supravan   +1y
i have a 89 s10 4x4 rear end in my van and it dont look funny when aired up, but i also built a new subframe and narrowed my track width and moved my front wheels up an inch and put zo6 corvette brakes on all 4 corners     
post photo
j-bird   +1y

Damn supervan. MAD mods.    any time you want to come down to FL. to give me a hand with my van, I won't say no!
marcus38   +1y

this is a pretty heavy door big d. i like the idea on the coach hinges, but u would have to come up with a lifting mechanism..strut,actuator,air cylinder to raise this beast using that kind of hinge. jbird, i learned the hard way on my rear setup. when we did the bodydrop the slider track issue came up when we were deciding on how much to shorten the stock rear end. the options were.. keep it the same, weld the door shut, or have it open another way. i was doin good to have the money for the drop, so i decided that i could cut the rear end to miss the track and figure out the track issue later. i knew i could always kick the wheels back out with spacers.so if u eliminate the tracking, using a 20x10 rim with a 4 in backspace, u can shorten it 3 1/2 in each side at the least. recheck this by having the rear end with the rims on it off the van so u can get a total measurement. from there take measurements to see where the top of the rim is up in the fender. measure across from that to the other side and u get your clearance measurement.it took some major trimming to get the rim as close to the innerfender as possible, so if anything u could go 4 in instead of 3 1/2 to give u a little extra room. ive got wheel spacers on now, but im thinkin about goin with 20x12s on the rear if i can find a tire with the profile i need. hope this helps!
supravan   +1y
if im in FL ill holla at you jbird and i dont care to help anyone out thats who i am
j-bird   +1y

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by marcus38this is a pretty heavy door big d. i like the idea on the coach hinges, but u would have to come up with a lifting mechanism..strut,actuator,air cylinder to raise this beast using that kind of hinge. jbird, i learned the hard way on my rear setup. when we did the bodydrop the slider track issue came up when we were deciding on how much to shorten the stock rear end. the options were.. keep it the same, weld the door shut, or have it open another way. i was doin good to have the money for the drop, so i decided that i could cut the rear end to miss the track and figure out the track issue later. i knew i could always kick the wheels back out with spacers.so if u eliminate the tracking, using a 20x10 rim with a 4 in backspace, u can shorten it 3 1/2 in each side at the least. recheck this by having the rear end with the rims on it off the van so u can get a total measurement. from there take measurements to see where the top of the rim is up in the fender. measure across from that to the other side and u get your clearance measurement.it took some major trimming to get the rim as close to the innerfender as possible, so if anything u could go 4 in instead of 3 1/2 to give u a little extra room. ive got wheel spacers on now, but im thinkin about goin with 20x12s on the rear if i can find a tire with the profile i need. hope this helps! ---------------------------------------------At the moment i have no problem with the clearance with the track. Because my lug pattern is 5x114.3 and i have a 40+ offset. So they clear the wheels. But when i get new rotors and drums, I will be going back to the 5x5. and there will be my issue! but soon i will be Redoing the rear. and i will takle the axle issue. thank for the input guys
marcus38   +1y

no problem, anything to help another vanner!!
astrowoody75   +1y
VANNERS OF THE WORLD UNITE !!!!!!
j-bird   +1y

No dout Marcus...Thanks for the help
Onelofullsize   +1y

anyone kno the overall width of the rear axle on a astro..flange to flange ( not including brakes) 

phatmx6   +1y

i used a s10 rearend  in mine,,,worked perfect but yes smaller pattern