Foreign Cars (honda, etc) \  Raised unibody strut towers

Raised unibody strut towers

Foreign Cars (honda, etc) General Discussions
views 2837
replies 21
following 16

doug118   +1y
Edited: 8/1/2009 7:40:47 PM by doug118

I'm trying to find someone who can raise the strut towers in my car. I have a 1998 honda civic. I was thinking about going with air but I would rather stay with a conventional spring/shock setup and still be really low, while having good ride quality at the same time***picture is for reference only**I'm looking to be that low, but there is no company that makes a coilover that will go that low without being very close to bottomed outNow I figure if the strut towers are raised 1-2", the car will be that same height but with the suspension having 1-2" more of travelso if there is anyone in the new england area that can do this for a reasonable price, let me know    this is also to help figure out where to cut if I decide to tackle the job myself (with a certified welder welding of course) oh and just a picture of the car I'm looking to do it toand pictures of the strut towers I want to raise---------------------------------------------
circus freak   +1y
im wanting to do the same 1" on the front of my accord. i also want to move the mounting outward about 1/2" to help with camber
k24 rd6   +1y

You will need cut the inner structure and make the wheel well larger as well or raising the towers will be pointless. Once you start cutting you won't want to stop.If you want conventional suspension, I suggest you cut 2"(if you run bigger tires then you will only be able to get 1.5")section out of the top of the spindle and step the lower control arm around 1.5" at the ball joint to raise the spindle. You then can take shocks and cut the spring perch off the shock and drop it an 1.5". Add an extended 1" tophat to that and toss the bumpstops. Now remove the brake line bracket from the shock and slide the shock .5-1" lower in the fork. Cut the shock tower for a-arm clearance. With all that you have 3.5-4" drop with no loss in shock travel and and plenty of a-arm clearance. I will get to the back later
doug118   +1y
ok 3 things wrong, I've been told many times its not safe to cut/weld cast steel, which the spindles and lower arms are. and how do I reweld the perch to the shock? again isn't it not safe to weld to a shock?  and wouldn't it just be easier to raise the top of the tower and make bigger wheel wells?
k24 rd6   +1y

Well, good luck with that, no point raising the shock up if you are sitting on the a-arm.

doug118   +1y
I would be cutting the entire top of the tower off and raising it so it won't be siting on the upper control arm at all
tofnlows10   +1y
Had a civic for a short time that had them raised. . They touched the hood alittle, think upper arm hit towers, made alittle dents in the hood from slamming down.

Think they where done by jp customs, they used to have pics of it on there site, not sure if they do or not anymore
doug118   +1y
can't find their site
tofnlows10   +1y
Jpkustoms.com

not 100 percent sure that there the ones that did it, it was all done by last owner before I got the car
xinsertnamex   +1y
Nice set-up what kind of numbers does the motor put down