Page 1 of 1
Dodge Trucks \  09 1500 suspenion towing problems and possible solutions

09 1500 suspenion towing problems and possible solutions

Dodge Trucks Make Specific
views 312
replies 5
following 5

Layumon22s   +1y
So my dad just recently purchased on 09 ram 1500. Its rated at 9100 of towing, we have a trailer that weighs around 6000 lbs, and we are getting about 3 in. of drop in the rear and about 1 in. of lift in the front. This truck is next to impossible to keep in the road because the alignment gets wayy off. He doesn't want to bag the rear of his truck since it's a daily driver and doesn't really see that much towing, maybe 3-4 days a month. Looking for other options on how to fix this. Those air helper springs don't really do much since they only offer 1000 lbs. of leveling capacity since they go inside the rear coils. The truck rides firmly on the rear bumpstops with the trailer loaded on. We thought about finding larger bump stops or adding a 1-1.5 in. spacer to the top of the current bumpstop. Stiffer coils aren't out yet for the 09s. Any other ideas? I don't really think a firmer shock is really going to do much for a 6000 lb. load but I may be wrong rear suspension digital image   
frankie   +1y

is the trailer loaded corect? maybe to much wieght on the tong end? if not i know you said no bags well id go with a leveling helper set up on the rear. ii got 2500 firestones they help my f150 its lowered and i added them for when i tow . it rides nice to and i dont get any trailer bounce either
SHOWTIME   +1y

My first question what are you towing? Maybe to much weight on the front on trailer? One thing you did not say and that is what type of hitch are you using ie just a ball on the factory bumper or a ball and a hitch that has a reciver under the bumper. If this is happening i would use an equalizer hitch they divide the weight properly between the truck and trailer when loaded properly it also helps keep swaying down to. If your not using that go with it it is cheap and no major work has to be done to truck or trailer. 

Layumon22s   +1y
we are towing a dual axle 18 ft. enclosed v-nose trailer. it has a full trailer hitch under the bumper style receiver already. I'll look into an equalizer hitch.  the air helper bags only do 1000 lbs of leveling capacity because they have to go inside the coils They are just dinky looking super sleeve style bags thanks guys. i'll keep everyone posted.
customforlife   +1y

---------------------------------------------Originally posted by longnlowMy first question what are you towing? Maybe to much weight on the front on trailer? One thing you did not say and that is what type of hitch are you using ie just a ball on the factory bumper or a ball and a hitch that has a reciver under the bumper. If this is happening i would use an equalizer hitch they divide the weight properly between the truck and trailer when loaded properly it also helps keep swaying down to. If your not using that go with it it is cheap and no major work has to be done to truck or trailer. 

---------------------------------------------bumperpull campers use this type of hitch just look anywere were they sell campers,accessories and suppies for campers
cookiemonster13   +1y

definetly need an equalizer hitch. it will make the world of differnce.
Page 1 of 1