threads
Page 1 of 1
Audio/Video \  alternator whine is pissing me off!

alternator whine is pissing me off!

Audio/Video Q & A
views 457
replies 7
following 8

gslif   +1y
ok so ive had my stereo in for about a month now and just yesterday i start getting that annoying alternator whine through my speakers and it gets even worse once i turn my compressors on. so im at a loss for solving this problem. my front speakers are run off a seperate 8 gauge wire to a clarion mono block 200 watt amp to my 5 1/4 alpine type s speakers. the back is run off a 4 gauge to 8 gauge 3 way fuse block to a mono block rockford 400 watt amp to some exile 6x9s. the only wire that connects the 2 amps is the remote wire. all of this is coming off of my pioneer avic d3 dvd player. ive checked all the grounds and im thinking they should all be good, there tight and all soldered.  sorry about the book but that noise is the most annoying noise on the face of the planet!
fatbuddy   +1y

COULD BE FAULTY RCA CABLES. HAD THAT HAPPEN TO ME ON A NEW SET OF MONSTER XL CABLES.
Layumon22s   +1y
yeah I would check the RCA, if you can't figure it out they make suppressors that you can buy but they can be a little pricey and I don't know what sort of effect they have on system performance.
draggin95niss   +1y

pioneer radios are notorious for engine noise, especially the newer ones...strip back a piece of wire roughly 2 inches back and wrap it around the outer shield of the rca and then ground the other end and see if that cures ur noise....if it dose then there is a solder joint on the board for the rca ground that has gone bad on the radio which is really typical of those radios...
msturg   +1y
RCA's are probably your biggest problem but you should also consider running them back on the opposite side of the vehicle as the power wires, that is if they aren't already like that
bodydropped85   +1y
Edited: 6/16/2009 5:24:24 PM by bagged85

on another note, were are the grounds for said devices? if its the factory ground in the radio, the ground loop isolator on the coil is more the likely took a dump, or you need to run the amp ground to the frame,as well as the compressors. have you upgrade the big 3 alos?
simple-pleasurez   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by draggin95nisspioneer radios are notorious for engine noise, especially the newer ones...strip back a piece of wire roughly 2 inches back and wrap it around the outer shield of the rca and then ground the other end and see if that cures ur noise....if it dose then there is a solder joint on the board for the rca ground that has gone bad on the radio which is really typical of those radios...--------------------------------------------- i was about to say that too. look up pioneer microfuse fix.
simple-pleasurez   +1y
microfuse fix....
post photo
Page 1 of 1