Page 1 of 1
General Discussion \  Need a hydraulic cylinder

Need a hydraulic cylinder

General Discussion
views 1145
replies 9
following 5

huskerdually   +1y
I need a hydraulic cylinder or two for my son's science fair project. I didn't know if one of you guys would have some laying around the shop or home that you weren't using that you wouldn't mind parting with for very little money. They don't have to match or anything, in fact it would probably be better if we could come up with a couple different sizes.
maz89   +1y
Holla at Trevor.... he's got everything...
lockone   +1y
I used to have a bunch of cylinders but when we moved shops everything got thrown in the trash.
huskerdually   +1y
Figures. The more I think about it I think we need something with more volume. But I would still be open if anyone has a couple.
watahyahknow   +1y
an old enginekrane perhabs or does it need to be motorized
huskerdually   +1y
I don't want any internal valving. I'm sure I can find something around here I just thought someone might have a couple laying around.
watahyahknow   +1y
wat is he going to make with them ?
huskerdually   +1y
Not going to try to build anything. He has to do something that can be measured and graphed. His project is going to try to measure the force ice can create. We are going to fill the bottom half of the cylinder with water and the top half with hydraulic fluid. We'll plug the top port with a pressure gauge and just plug the bottom port. Then freeze it and see what kind of pressure it builds(should be pretty high). It probably won't work, it will porbably just bust the cylinder(which will be kinda cool anyway). It dosn't have to work to get a good grade, if it doesn't you just have to explain why.

So the hydraulic cylinder I need needs to be powered up and down so one from like a car setup won't work. Off to the tractor dealer.
bdydrped   +1y
that actually sounds pretty interesting.... i bet it wont bust the cyl.
huskerdually   +1y
We are going to try to make sure to freeze it from the bottom up(maybe dry ice). If we can force it to freeze up instead of out it should be alright.

I kind of thought of it seeing all these boats come in with cracked blocks from people not winterizing them.

Ice can break a lot of stuff.
Page 1 of 1