Page 1 of 1
Isuzu \  1999 Isuzu Amigo Lowering????

1999 Isuzu Amigo Lowering????

Isuzu Make Specific
views 2391
replies 8
following 4

xpunkmuscelsx   +1y
I have a 1999 Isuzu Amigo 2wd truck. I wanted to know if anyone has lowered these trucks a decent amount without doing air suspension? Im looking to lower it from 3-5". I know the rear is coil springs over the rear with a four link, so the back I can simply cut the springs and maybe do drop shocks. But the front has a torsion bar setup and im afraid if I drop the front too much it will be out of range for a shop to actually align it so I dont wear through my tires...

If anybody has any ideas or know what im trying to say please chime in!!! If i drop the front so much the bump stop will have to be shortened or relocated. But the alignment issue is whats troubling me...I've bagged and body dropped an 89' Mighty Max but am not ready to get engrowsed in this project that much quite yet.
lowromigo   +1y

Not sure but do they offer drop spindles for it?
xpunkmuscelsx   +1y

No not that I can find...I called AIM industries and the spindles they offer do not work on the newer amigo
lowromigo   +1y
Edited: 4/22/2009 9:51:58 PM by lowromigo

I know when I got my spindles for my 1994 Isuzu pickup AIM was the only company that carried anything for mine.  Guess Isuzu didn't sell many Amigos like yours cause you don't see may of the newer ones, seen more older ones the body style of my pickup and probly same spindle on my pickup fits Amigo the same body style as mine.  Think yours might be the same as the Rodeo the same year but they probly don't offer anything for it either.
xpunkmuscelsx   +1y

yeah it sucks...may just end up having to bag it
xpunkmuscelsx   +1y

I actually ended up cranking the torsion bars down, and cut 1/4" off of the bump stops, then cut a coil and a half out of the rear, this all equalled a 3-4" drop all the way around. The back is binding up on the panhard bar (bar of the rear link suspension holding the rear in place side to side) not allowing it to drop anymore as the rear is traveling upwards and tilting at the came time, the ends on the stock 4 link are not heim ends so i only get so much drop til it stops, so what im doing it cutting the axel bracket on the panhard bar, letting the suspension drop more, then reweldingit, to get another 2-3" of drop. Then in the front I am stepping the lower A-arms 2" and shortening them about 1/2" (approximation until measurements) to allow adjustment for alignment from a professional shop! And relocating a new smaller style bumpstop. The truck will sit 5-7" lower then stock, and with some smaller tires the truck should sit a few inches from the ground!!!!!!  I can post pics up when its done if anyone has this style amigo and is tired of not being able to slam it without air!!!
jsutton   +1y
I have a 99 Rodeo that hopefully will be my next project in a few months when it's not my daily driver anymore. I would love to see pics of what you've done. Does the gas tank hang low in the Amigo like it does in the Rodeo? That's about my only concern.
xpunkmuscelsx   +1y

I actually went about all the plans that i originally stated and found this extremely hard to lower without extreme modification...and at that piont i might aswell just do air suspension. The stock 99 amigo sits quite high from factory, and i got about 4" of drop out of it just by cutting the rear coils and cranking the torsions down using SMALL bumpstops. In the rear after cutting the coils i made the upper coil pocket deeper bc when the suspension was jacked up and fully relaxed, without a deeper pocket the coil will just flop around in place, and i also welded the bottom of the coil to the bottom mount. Of course in the back i also cut the factory bumpstops way down with a sawzall. I came to the conclusion that I will end up bagging it so all the extra work isnt worth it, when i can just put all that extra mod time into bagging it!!! I'll post a pic of it soon, the wheelwell gap is about 2" whick isnt bad from where it started at 6"...still looks like its in the clouds though. My ground clearance is about 6" (which again sounds like a hell of alot), but from where it started is a world of difference. Btwn the stepping of the front a-arms and air suspension all the way around. It will lay nicely on teh ground!!!
xpunkmuscelsx   +1y

This was my old baby 89' Mitsu Mighty Max, bagged, body dropped, custom yota flares, all home built...sadly sold unfinshed boy do i regret that
post photo
Page 1 of 1