Page 1 of 2
Audio/Video \  amp issues

amp issues

Audio/Video Q & A
views 1783
replies 15
following 6

unhallowed1   +1y
back in may when i graduated highschool i dropped a good bit of my money on a system for my truck.  i used a power acoustik 1440w amp and 2 power acoustik 10s. i wired it up and it done good for about a month and a half and then the amp stopped working. it went into protect mode and i can't get it to come on.  i've checked all the wiring, checked and changed my grounds. i just don't see what the problem is. any help? i'd reeeeeally appreciate it.

overkillFFF   +1y

usually protect mode is for thermal overload, there may have been some damage doone to the reset device inside.

unhallowed1   +1y

it did happen on a summer day. but the thing is it wasn't turned up AT ALL when it quit. i hit a small pothole at the end of my road and that was all she wrote.

ShakinPlates   +1y
Sounds like something got knocked loose in the amp. Take or send it back for warranty.. Thats your only hope at this point.

nvrdunizu   +1y

check your subs to see if the wires are touching or maybe even a blown sub

redspowerjams   +1y

RCA jacks can go bad an make the amp fault into protect. un plug the RCA jacks from the amp and then turn it on.  if that dont work then do the same thing with the wires to your subs. if that dont work then it's your amp.

shaggy_ky2001   +1y

ok here what i can tell you. either a sub has been blown and caused the amp to go into protect. the ohm load caused it. maybe a wire could have come loose over that month, causing the problem you are having.. from what i see everyday, i would lean alot towards bad amp,ohm load to low. how do you have this wired up.

unhallowed1   +1y
the subs still work. i know this because (i know this is gonna sound ghetto and unprofessional) for a while i took the speaker wire going into the driver side dash speaker and ran it to one of the subs and used the wires i ran on my subs to run them together.   i checked the wiring to the subs when i had the amp in the truck, everything there checked out.   one thing i did notice with the RCA wires, once i took them out, the amp shut off. i'd go from having a red(protect) light to nothing. does that mean its gotta bad ground?   anotehr thing is i didn't really have the amp bolted up to anything and it kinda just sat in between the speaker boxes, i suppose it coulda knocked something loose in the amp but i took the back panel off (voiding the warrenty, but there again i'ma dumbass and didn't send in the warrenty card so i didn't have one to begin with) and i didn't see anything broke or any loose connections.   i'm hoping and leaning toward a wiring issue because i don't wanna have to buy another amp. but best believe if i do have to get another one i'm gonna fill out the warranty card!

unhallowed1   +1y
--------------------------------------------- Originally posted by shaggy_ky2001 ok here what i can tell you. either a sub has been blown and caused the amp to go into protect. the ohm load caused it. maybe a wire could have come loose over that month, causing the problem you are having.. from what i see everyday, i would lean alot towards bad amp,ohm load to low. how do you have this wired up. --------------------------------------------- i had the power wire run from batt. it was grounded to a bolt in the cab. and the subs were dual voice coil so they were wired up with a sub wire connecting the two coils and was ran to the jacks on the side of the box. then the speakers were then ran to their respective left and right channel ports.   i have another question, how do you wire systems up at different ohm loads? this is something i haven't yet grasped.

ShakinPlates   +1y
--------------------------------------------- Originally posted by deric12 --------------------------------------------- Originally posted by shaggy_ky2001 ok here what i can tell you. either a sub has been blown and caused the amp to go into protect. the ohm load caused it. maybe a wire could have come loose over that month, causing the problem you are having.. from what i see everyday, i would lean alot towards bad amp,ohm load to low. how do you have this wired up. --------------------------------------------- i had the power wire run from batt. it was grounded to a bolt in the cab. and the subs were dual voice coil so they were wired up with a sub wire connecting the two coils and was ran to the jacks on the side of the box. then the speakers were then ran to their respective left and right channel ports.   i have another question, how do you wire systems up at different ohm loads? this is something i haven't yet grasped. --------------------------------------------- by the way you are describing how you hooked up the woofers, you could be either doing  a 2 or 1 ohm stereo load. This could kill the amp... Check out this link to see if this might help you understand how bridging an amp works: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qty=2&woofer_imp=4