threads
Page 1 of 2
Audio/Video \  How much battery do I need???

How much battery do I need???

Audio/Video Q & A
views 803
replies 11
following 7

stsweep   +1y
Edited: 1/12/2009 10:57:01 PM by stsweep

So Ive got a 92 chevy fullsize and I have had power issues since I brought the truck 3 years ago.  I put a Powermaster alternator in it and have a red top Optima.    Between my compressors (2 Viair 325s) e-fans,  stereo (small system, 2 amps- maybe 500 watts total) and starting/ignition I am always getting low voltage and the truck tends to die out unless I keep on the gas.  I do have March pulleys but did get the smallest alt pulley they have which did help.  My big 3 are done but the battery was relocated under the bed with 1 gauge wire up to the starter.  I was told get a Kinetik and I am going to go through all the wiring and upgrade everything I can to a larger, higher quality wire.  Main question is...what size Kinetik do I need?  Should I get 2?  I do want to get 2 larger compressors but the stereo probably wont get any major upgrades.  I am fine with a little overkill but don't really want to waste money.  I am most concerned with the motor getting what it needs since it tends to struggle a little when everything is on.  Thanks for any help. 
4uh8rs   +1y

hey bro shoot me a text or give me a call and i can help u with ur kinetik questions....865 323 7576

bodydropped85   +1y

what size wire is from your alternator to the battery?

layin22ʹs   +1y
Edited: 1/13/2009 5:32:06 PM by scraper631

yeah man you may wanna check your wireing.im running 2 memphis amps.1000 watts each.m.s.d ignition.2 viair 450's and other misc things.   point is i only have an m.s.d alternator that is a 175 amp? i think? and a red top optima  i have no probles with anything.  but a friend of mine was haveing the same kinnda problem.his yota was running rough whouldnt stay running without both feet,at a light.      so i looked into it turned out to be the wire from the alternator to the started was wasted.thats what i whould check as stated above.most of the time it is simple like that when it comes to e.f.i..they are pretty reliable unless they dont have power to run them or there is a short somewhere that is robbing the power.
bodydropped85   +1y
id double check your grounds again also.

eatinpavement   +1y

you need to run a 4 ga (or bigger) ground wire from the cab to the chassis. try that and let me know if it fixes your problem.

stsweep   +1y
Thanks for all the help guys.  I am going to check out all the grounds this weekend and see what I can do.   If this doesn't help I'll look into a battery.  I have a 4ga from my alternator to the starter.
stsweep   +1y
 So I checked out the wiring today and made some additions and it did help a little.  I ran an 0 gauge from the alt to the starter (there is 1 gauge from the bat to the starter already) and ran an additional 4 gauge from the engine block to the chassis because I didn't have any more 0 gauge connectors. 
eatinpavement   +1y
i guess all that could help a little but what you should be most concerned with is running a good ground from the cab to the frame. there you will definitely see all the difference!

stsweep   +1y
  I'm gonna grab some more cable tomorrow and do that.  I'll let you know how it works out.