Page 1 of 1
Audio/Video \  wiring 3 subs but....

wiring 3 subs but....

Audio/Video Q & A
views 266
replies 6
following 5

shagee2001   +1y
O.K. i got a guy wanting to wire up 3 12" JL's....  2 are 4ohm, 1 is 8ohm. Has a bridgable 2-channel amp. How would you wire these for the best sound. Would it be better if he had a 4 ch amp? All 3 will be in one box. BTW they are all single voice coil. Thanks
IB2LOUD   +1y
You could put the two 4 ohm subs into series to get a 8 ohm load and then put that into parallel with the 8ohm to get a 4ohm final load
drgnaccordwgn   +1y
YOU COULD DO THAT HOWEVER THE TOTAL RESISTANCE WOULD BE RIGHT BUT THE DISTRIBUTION OF POWER WOULD NOT BE DUE TO THE RESISTANCE ISSUES. EXAMPLE --- 1000W TOTAL POWER -- 8 OHM + ( 4 OHM + 4 OHM IN PARALLEL)= 8 OHM + 8 OHM...= 500W + 500W( DIVIDED IN 2) .... SO = 500W + 250 +250. SO BEING IN ONE ENCLOSURE IT WOULD HAVE ISSUES. HONESTLY I WOULDN'T DO IT.  HIT ME BACK @ DROOPY101@HOTMAIL.COM IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION 

Lowered Depths   +1y
I'd honestly try to find another amp.  Run a pair of amps, one to the two with a four ohm loads and one to the 8 ohm load.   That way you can run an equal amount of power to the subs and not have as big of a resistance issue.  If you are to run all subs in one enclosure, make sure that they have their own chamber.  MEANING--- make sure that each sub has it's own measured out cubic footage for breathing.  A common chamber will cause subtle distortion and knowing that no matter what you will have at least a 1.5 cu ft internal dimensions. which can hurt the performance of the sub as well as the life time.  So build a single enclosure and a put walls on the inside of the box to split the box into 3 chambers.  If you have any questions, just ask.        
shagee2001   +1y

ok........ thanks!

Lowered Depths   +1y
no problem, it's what I do for a living!!!!
drgnaccordwgn   +1y

YEAH ME TOO

Page 1 of 1