Page 5 of 8
Ask A Pro \  2 link controversy....

2 link controversy....

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 4254
replies 75
following 56

smithchassis   +1y
its people that get on the internet and read and think they know why they are talking about that give stuff bad names... in my opinion if you havent installed it to see how it works, then you shouldnt comment, if you have then so be it... but as i said, there are several trucks out there that weve built with 2 links that ride, and perform perfectly... not one problem out of them, but everyone on every website seems to know everything 5 minutes after they read a post somewhere saying that someone who knew someone that knows someone had a truck that the 2 link fell off or bent, or the bushings went bad or whatever... people need to try things on there own before the write it off as bad... thats just my .02
pearldrop   +1y
Originally posted by smithchassis

but as i said, there are several trucks out there that weve built with 2 links that ride, and perform perfectly... not one problem out of them

This is where the controversy falls. Perfect for some people may be adequate for others. I've been in two-links that do ride great, but they are nowhere near perfect. They aren't perfect for the drivetrain, and they aren't perfect for articulation, which is most definitely needed for daily driving, not just hitting sides.

Nothing is wrong with adequate if that is all you want. But if you are going to build something, why not try to do it the best you can?

str8azztaco   +1y
sheeeesh, who gives a damn, it will work. Bottom line is... it is the cheapest to build, and easiest to set up. Thats why people do it.
grip   +1y
Same people with the same opinions year after year and theres nothing anyone can say to change a single one of them.
unusualfabrication   +1y
Originally posted by grip

Same people with the same opinions year after year and theres nothing anyone can say to change a single one of them.

AMEN!
BioMax   +1y
Originally posted by str8azztaco

Bottom line is... it is the cheapest to build, and easiest to set up. Thats why people do it.

Exactly! It's the same reason that grocery stores sell "brown label" food, that Wal-mart sells $100 mountain bikes and $5 sun glasses. Most of the world isn't that concerned about "Hi-end" products. The sun glasses keep the glare out of your eyes, the bikes ride down the road and the food fills your stomach.

If you guys really want to continue arguing that 2-links or reverse 4-links suck or are just fine, you're wasting your energy. I have posted plenty FACTS about this subject. I can't afford a $500k Ferrari to drive everyday, my 2000 Toyota Tacoma makes me plenty happy. Does that make me stupid? No. Does my Tacoma drive as nice as a Ferrari? HELL NO! And I know better than to tell everybody that it does.

If you have a 2-link or a reverse 4-link (or ANY other system for that matter) STOP telling people that it drives perfect. It doesn't drive perfect. You can be happy with how it performs, it is probably a nicely set-up system that does exactly what you want it to, but it's not perfect. I spent $15k on a rear suspension for a vehicle that does exactly what the customer wanted it to, but it is far from perfect. It handles like crap and drives like hell too, but the customer is happy that it does what he want it to. That is the bottom line, make the customer or whoever is driving the vehicle happy.
BioMax   +1y
Just so I can beat everyone to the punch...

I built a reverse 4-link once and my customer loved it...

True story!
ssc   +1y
Great job explaining this topic Max. This is the best explanation ive seen on the topic yet.
waynehammer   +1y
MY 07 COROLLA HAD A "2 LINK TYPE" REAR SUSPENSION. OR I GUESS ITS MORE LIKE A SWING ARM, AND WHEN I GO UP A DRIVEWAY ONE WHEEL GOES IN THE AIR. ITS A PILE OF CRAP.
jsondrops   +1y
max i hope you didn't just diss ramen noodles up there!

whats wrong with running leaf springs and 6" blocks?

btw this is the most informative place on ssm