Page 3 of 4
Tools \  110 Welders - what to buy?

110 Welders - what to buy?

Tools Q & A
views 1951
replies 32
following 25

dh798824   +1y
i have done alot of chasis work with the home Depot lincoln welder on minis and have never had a weld fail on me. I use mixed gas and plug directly into the wall, which helps alot. But i can burn through 1/4" with it with out a problem
maz2low   +1y
Originally posted by iLLblazer

We have a Miller 135 and a Lincoln 180. The 135 WILL get the job done, but once you've used the 175 or 180 you will never want to go back to a 110 machine for framework. Its probably doubles or triples the fab time and probably cuts the life of the machine that much too since you will be constantly running it maxed and pushing the duty cycle. The 175s and 180s are very versatile machines and well worth the extra cost. We had a 175 at the shop and beat the absolute piss out of it on chassis and bodywork for the last 4 years and it finally started getting sketchy last week so my buddy replaced it with a 180 since he still needs something he can dial in for bodywork. The 135 is awesome to have for portability to do a quick job here and there for a buddy with no 220 hookup or whatever but other than that its well worth a couple hundred more in wiring and machine cost to pick up a small 220 machine. As soon as I can I'll be getting a Miller 252. Nicest machine I've ever used by far.

I have a Miller 135 and a Lincoln 175 aswell . I also have a Hobart 135 which is a Miller 135 with different outside case . I find that the Lincoln 175 is a horrible welder for a 220 . If your going to waste the money I would suggest going a little bigger because it doesnt weld much better then the 135 does . I have beat the piss out of my Miller 135 only that has taken a crap so far was the trigger . Guess its just personal preference

mindlissmetalfab   +1y
Our 175 was awesome. And it welded a hell of a lot better than the 135. so who knows. Now we have the 180. if it was me I'd buy a bigger machine no doubt, but I dont do bodywork. For a good all around machine, the 175s and 180s are pretty much ideal for the average minitrucker IMO.
stockfloored85   +1y
thanks guys. wow, did not think I would get this much feed back.
unusualfabrication   +1y
You can give the best welder in the world a crappy welding machine and chances are that he'll throw down a good weld. On the other hand you can give a crappy welder the best welding machine in the world and chances are that it'll look like poo. The 3200HD is just a Lincoln 135 amp welder packaged for sale at Home Depot. Its the same as a SP-135T, which was recently replaced by the SP-140T which is 140 amps, directly from Lincoln. So as for the people that are saying "don't by it becasue its from Home Depot" need to get there facts striaght. I have one because it was cheaper to buy it through there than at the local welding store. I have had it for roughly 7 years and have never had one problem with it and I beat the ever living hell out of it. If used by an experienced welder there isn't anything on a vehicle that couldn't be welded safely.
stockfloored85   +1y
Originally posted by nissandoordragger

i built my truck with a 110 and it worked awesome i did not use hardly any 1/4 inch stuff so it was fine and the 1/4 i did yse i beviled the edges real good and welded it up i would rather have a 220 but i dont plus my freinds 220 is very finicky when welding sheet metal he has it turned all the way down and still blows holes oh and mines a hobart by the way

I just bought a Hobart and about to get started, its 110, i have been practicing, and im comfortable, i like it, I do have gas on it.
ExplicitDesignz   +1y
I`ve had the Nascar Series Lincoln for about 7-8years, used it on probably 10 different trucks, plus my two old trucks, and a million other things around the house, and it hs worked awesome. Well worth $350, at the time I bought it. As long as you can tell that you`ve tied into both sides, your fine. I`mma certified wrlder/pipefitter by trade, so it helps. But you`ll be able to tell.
low99maz   +1y
I have a hobart handler 140 and it is freakin great. Clean metal and no extension cord and I get great penetration. It is @ the same price as the lincoln I actually got mine a Tractor supply for cheaper than the lincoln!!!
sadexcuse4s10   +1y
stockfloored and bagged my truck with a miller 135 and it worked awesome.

for most bag jobs and construction/repairs though I use my Hobart 125. It's nice being able to plug in anywhere and get to welding rather than try to find 220v or drag around a huge ass generator to run a big welder
stockfloored85   +1y
Originally posted by sadexcuse4s10

stockfloored and bagged my truck with a miller 135 and it worked awesome.

for most bag jobs and construction/repairs though I use my Hobart 125. It's nice being able to plug in anywhere and get to welding rather than try to find 220v or drag around a huge ass generator to run a big welder

lol, someone told me to buy a 220 welder and a generator, I said whatever.