threads
Page 1 of 2
American Cars \  tips on cutting the roof off a ....

tips on cutting the roof off a ....

American Cars General Discussions
views 7351
replies 18
following 13

sittin_so_low   +1y
94 grand marqius... my buddy is gonna cut off his roof this friday with the help of my sawzaw and im looking for some help or tips like around the front windshiled, what should i look out for? also, should 1 new blade do? cant wait.. should be fun in the sun.... thanks, later
stickboy   +1y
might want to use a cutoff wheel on a side grinder, and if your just getting reid of roof , then you donthave to worry about anything, if your chopping the top well thats a horse of another color, and what are you doing about the edge near winshield? just slapping some rubber edgeing crap on it? take pictures i like seeing stuff get cut up. i like cutting stuff up myself even more.
BankruptRam   +1y
I would have 5 blades. 3 short, 2 long. It is very easy to bend them and then they are worthless unless you can bend them back. I suggest cutting a few inches back from the windshield then using a cutoff wheel to clean it up.
sittin_so_low   +1y

^thanks for the tip around the front windshiled....yea, hes gonna get rid of the car after summer for a newer one, so he thought why not cut the top totally off and i agreed lol should be good times... i will for sure have pics... also, id like to get a clean cut as possilbe, so a cutoff wheel or a sawzaw... whats what? thanks
lo75lux   +1y
^^^ that man is right. i cut the roof off my s10 and made it look all pretty. the windows kinda tricky i still havent cleaned it up
stickboy   +1y
well you can get a good cut witha sawzaw just have to use a blade with finer teeth, well hey whats he doing with it when he gets reid of it? i want a toppless grand marq..... that would be dope, weld the doors shut too man run some braces through the inside of the doors, cause on a 4 door the roof holds a lot of the rigid structure so if you put like a mini cage in the doors it would get the structure back, if not just say oh well and the car will look like a bannan going down the street.

cut off wheels are only gonna get a few inches but the sawzaw will go pretty far and yeah about 5 or 6 blades. a demolition blade for one, and then a couple fine metal blades if you want nice cuts.
sittin_so_low   +1y
im thinking about cutting the rear pillers, then the side ones, then around the windshield and that should be the roof,( im sorry, i just need a game plan lol) then go around and clean up the cuts abit. cant wait, should be cool crusing the 4door no top for awhile... he could even get a libit of cash for the roof at a scrapyard?
rockstar-c10   +1y
Look in my profile of the Monte Carlo i cut the roof off of it. It was fun.
sittin_so_low   +1y
i think hes gonna junk it in a few months, he said the trans is going and he needs some work, but it looks nice lol yea, i mention to him about how the roof is kind of a brace and how after u cut it off the car wont be as solid in a way.. not sure, but for a couple months he shoud be good id think.. i will have pics too. why not, u know, if hes gonna junk it.
sittin_so_low   +1y
^yea, i swear i thought of yours when he said he wanted his done cause i seen a thread a few weeks back with yours. did it take u long? any tips?