threads
Page 1 of 2
Performance Cars \  Drifting: What is needed?

Drifting: What is needed?

Performance Cars General Discussions
views 2729
replies 16
following 17

cap10rob   +1y
I used to "drift" in the grass with my quads and on the snow and ice in my trucks, but I've been thinging of trying to get into the sport. I am wondering what is the ideal type of vehicle to start on? I would prefer a mini over a car, but I don't know if that will work. I also have a love for Fieros. What type of suspension setup, power-to-weight ratio, tires, etc. are the best. If I do decide to try this, I want to start with something cheap. I know this is a "truck" site, but any help would be appreciated. Also, if there are any websites dedicated to drifting, post them here please.
Blitz Noma   +1y
drifting.com
most people start of with a 240sx or silvia(jp)
BodyDragginGMC   +1y
You may want to google that. Only because there really aren't many difters here on SSM. Google D1 Drifting and that may get you started.

If I were guessing, I'd say you need a specific wheel and tire combo along with some hp. But that's only guessing.
FullSizeRST   +1y
i would guess??? a good relocated hand E brake in a mini, and a deep pocket for tires
lo75lux   +1y
me and my cousin are gettin into this also,he bough a 240 already stripped interior with some engine mods for $1800,its a great starter car to learn in. also try to look for older supras,rx7s mainly little RWD cars
layedoutb2k (chase)   +1y
some of the most common cars out there are 2nd gen rx7s, 240sx, and ae86 corrollas. ive never seen any fieros out there and not too sure if they are too back heavy to work good. there really isnt an exact setup for drifting but definitely get a car that has an LSD or put one in. maybe try to get in good with a local tire place to get a lot of used tires.
my brother is really big into drifting and runs in all the events in the northwest. he has had numerous 240s, rx7s, corrollas, etc.. but he actually has been looking at building up a drifter mini. on a mini, you would definitely want to ditch the leaf springs on it and link it on coilovers or you could go cheaper and get coilover eliminators. also put an LSD in it and get a lever style e-brake. i had a pretty good start on one a few years back with a 86 ranger that i had swapped in a turbocoupe motor into and bumped up the boost. that thing would get sideways on me without even tryin.
bdroppeddak   +1y
there is a drift truck out there, ithink its a mighty max, its yellow, google drift truck and you'll prolly find it...
///RELAXED 720   +1y

Thats a 720 from Japan skyline motor, skyline suspension front & rear..his sn on here is GARAGE MINIZ..if u read japanese he's his page from his club site ........ http://thenewtype.web.infoseek.co.jp/modificationssakuta726.htm ...... hope that helps ya.....

TwistedPhil   +1y
A Fiero may be a good choice for someone with a lot of drift/ grip driving experience, but a mid engine car is NOT the place to start! You're going to want something front engine, rear drive, with a locked or limited slip diff and some aftermarket support for suspension and engine upgrades.240sx's are a great place to start, because they're very balanced, are still relatively cheap, and have tons of potential to boost handling and power.My '89 has more potential than I'm able to take advantage of, so I'm still trying to grow into it, but it's a blast to rip up the parking lot!

Good luck with your drifting!-Phil at FBI
1los10   +1y
any car with rwd is good for drifting i would advise maybe a 3rd gen or early 4th gen camaro cheap cars with easy hp