views 2662
replies 13
following 12

974door   +1y
How do you do it using a chop saw?
jdauer02   +1y
Originally posted by 974door

How do you do it using a chop saw?

angle the tube to cut a pie shape, one on either side. you can angle it differently to get the notch for different sizes. Here is a link to pirate 4x4 that has good info on it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Links/

unusualfabrication   +1y
I have a harbor frieght notcher and I use the shit out of it. I also have a dedicated drill press just for it so I never have to tear it down. I have used the chop saw, mill, and the lathe to notch before all with good results.
maz duh   +1y
I have one of the small notchers that uses a hole saw and I love it. I run mine with a variable speed 1/2 inch hand drill instead of mounting it in a press. I have notched tubing with chop saws and grinders in the past and the drill unit beats them all as far as I'm concerned. It does a very acurate job(ie no large gaps) and is quick. If you buy a cheaper one like I did make sure the degree scale is printed correct before you start notching. Mine is 3 degrees off when it says its at 90. No big deal tho, I just have to remember to add 3 degrees to whatever angle I'm coping and its good. I actually use mine so much I'm looking at purchasing the upgraded version of it now.