Page 2 of 4
Ask A Pro \  air cylinder question

air cylinder question

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1682
replies 31
following 15

xinsertnamex   +1y
wow the dude hasnt posted back since his first post.........well im running a cantilever cylinder set up, truck dont drive yet but when it does ill let everyone know how it rides
post photo
xinsertnamex   +1y
those also arent the cheap junk cylinders...there parker 4" bore 8" stroke cushions and adjustable bump stops on each end custom made for me

with kevlar lined heims on every joint except where the poly bushing is
NoRegretsNZ   +1y
Originally posted by xinsertnamex

those also arent the cheap junk cylinders...there parker 4" bore 8" stroke cushions and adjustable bump stops on each end custom made for me

with kevlar lined heims on every joint except where the poly bushing is

Cool man, your definatley on the money with those particular make and model cans! The other thing you could possibly try is running a coilover instead of that solid push rod, that way by playing around with different spring rates you could dial in an awesome ride quality. Cool to see guys not afraid to try this sort of thing.

And Max, I hear what your saying and understand but I still stand by what i said and worded it like i did so the average joe knew what i was getting at. The ride quality and ride quality control you can achieve with a cylinder is more predictible and therefore IMO better than a rubber bellow. You do get compression in a cylinder under normal driving conditions just like you get compression in a bag but the cylinders compression ratio is far less dramatic than a bag due to it having no sidewall flex. Some might say that the missing side wall flex you get from a cylinder is replicated in the accumulator which is true to a point but the flex and compression is still less the the side wall flex in a bag. Again im not saying a cylinder is a better option but i do believe cylinders shouldnt be discounted so quickly as being a bad part to use. Everyone is different and some people prefer a certain ride quality so for anyone looking for a more stable ride at a larger range of heights then cylinders are an option to be considered. Being double acting is also a cool bonus if thats what your into. Im not sure what the legal status of using cylinders is in the USA but here in NZ we have been able to use them as an approved part untill recently, at present they are reviewing the rules when it come to cylinders and the new rules should hopefully make it a must to run accumulators. The reason they are reviewing the rules is because alot of guys down here have been using cylinder kits from a certain company in the states that do cause the vehicle to ride like a death trap. Hopefully common sense will prevail and they will be made legal again soon.
Deuce   +1y
Im using air cylinders in the rear of my truck, but will be used with a bell crank...
BioMax   +1y
Mat- As I said earlier, I don't disagree with you, but you should realize that bags are just as predictable as cylinders. The sidewall flex is consistent and can be calculated. The fact that they get less travel is only a concern if you don't know how to calculate. PSI is pounds per square inch, that means that you can simply calculate out the spring rate of your air cylinder based on the diameter of the piston. Bags aren't as easy, but a call to Firestone will get you the springrate as well.

I'm going to say it one more time... Both bags and cylinders can be used sucessfully and properly with only the cyliner having the weakness of stiction, which is quite minor.
layedouttaco   +1y
Thanks guys this all gives me alot to take in. How much lift would you think I would get if I did deside to do cylinders?
BioMax   +1y
It all depends on the size of the cylinder and your suspension design.
xinsertnamex   +1y
with a 8" cylinder and the rocker arm im running i should get just a hair over 11"
layedouttaco   +1y
ok guys Ill keep everyone up to date on what happens next.
Thanks
tukn18saccord   +1y
good luck with your choice i hope it works out for the best