Page 1 of 4
Ask A Pro \  air cylinder question

air cylinder question

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1657
replies 31
following 15

layedouttaco   +1y
Im going to be replacing my rear bags with air cylinders, But my question is how close to the pivoit point on the link bars can I mount the bracket for the cylinder? The lower bracket is like that use on the honda's it looks like a fork. The fork slides over my link bar perfect, but im worried about them binding from being mounted to close to the end link. Im liking this idea just because its different, your input would help me alot.Thanks-Bobby
gravity matt   +1y
dont do it, cylinders are junk and wont hold up near as well as an airbag
simple-pleasurez   +1y
and ride crappy.
BioMax   +1y
I would mount the lower wishbone on a pivoting joint of some sort and it would probably be a good idea to use a heim on the top so that the cylinder can be isolated from the lower arm movement too. Then you would not have to worry about keeping everything in perfect alignment. It would also help to keep the cylinder from wearing prematurely as well.
NoRegretsNZ   +1y
I get tired of hearing people rag on cylinders.
If you use a good quality cylinder like a P1L Parker or a CG1BN SMC and run in-line accumulators then the ride quality is just as good as a bag if not better. The reason i say it is possible for it to be better is that the ride quality in a cylinder is almost the same at any height where as a bag differs depending on what PSI is in it. For e.g. a bag is rock solid when fully inflated (150psi) and spongy as hell when near full deflation (50psi).
If you are using crappy aim industries, chassistech, airbagit.com, air ride pro, street ride pro or whatever they are calling themselves now days then yes they do ride like shit but thats not air cylinders fault in general its simply those particular cans because they are cheap junk!
This is just my opinion and dont want to cause a shitfight or debate over bags vs cans but i think cylinders in general deserve more credit.
BioMax   +1y
Originally posted by NoRegretsNZ

The reason i say it is possible for it to be better is that the ride quality in a cylinder is almost the same at any height where as a bag differs depending on what PSI is in it. For e.g. a bag is rock solid when fully inflated (150psi) and spongy as hell when near full deflation (50psi).

That is not exactly true. There is more to using the right size bag for a particular vehicle then simply what will fit and the same goes for air cylinders. If you run too large of a bag or air cylinder, it won't take much pressure to lift the vehicle, but it will be too soft of a ride. And the opposite goes for too small of a part, take for instance an S-10 with a 255c or comparable bag, it takes 100 psi to lift to ride height, but a 224c sized bag only takes about 60psi. Air cylinders get a bad rap because they are not a regulated DOT part, so cheap ones are available. Bags on the otherhand are all DOT regulated and even the worst ones still work well.

I know that you weren't trying to start a debate, but I'm not debating. Bags and cylinders both have the same potential to ride nicely, actually the cylinder falls short only because of it's inherent "stiction" (look it up)
TwistedPhil   +1y
Originally posted by BioMax

(look it up)

If everyone did that, you wouldn't have your own forum on here!!
BioMax   +1y
True.
tukn18saccord   +1y
Originally posted by gravity matt

dont do it, cylinders are junk and wont hold up near as well as an airbag

I agree dont do it, ive had a civic on cylinders for 7 years now and it rides like shit, not only that they blow about every 8 months, ive taken my stuf off and going to bags on my car for better ride and longer life, so i wouldnt do it