Page 2 of 2
Ask A Pro \  tig welding

tig welding

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 542
replies 19
following 12

BioMax   +1y
I almost forgot... The beginer TIG welder almost always has a tendency to overheat the material. It doesn't matter how clean or perfectly everything is set up, if you overheat the material, you will end up with sparks from the weld puddle. If this is happening, grind out the dirty weld and keep the heat down. If you go back at it with just enough heat to create a puddle, you should see a difference. It is extremely common for even seasoned welders to overheat the weldment, it's jut that beginers just push it too far.
bodydropped72   +1y
ill give that a shot what sucks about my particular tig is that there is no pedal adjustment just 4 power settings..i plan to someday upgrade so i can also do aluminum
one_low_sixty8   +1y
Max,

Second, the tungsten should only stick past the end of the cup by half of the width of the cup. IF the cup is 1/2" across, the tip should be no more than 1/4" past the tip....

why do you say this? ive stuck out my tungsten probably 1/2" on a #7 cup and it ran bitchin. if im welding in a tight spot where the cup wont fit, ill run it out a bit longer, i guess it all depends. i dont think ive ever had a problem when running out that far either, just wondering where that came from?

post photo
BioMax   +1y
That's just a rule of thumb. As you learn the TIG quirks you can bend the rules. I do it all the time too...
minitrucker04   +1y
check your gas lens to
bdroppeddak   +1y
has anyone used the cups with a gas lens in them? the ones we have used at our shop always break too easily.... i usually stick the tungsten out farther when i am welding in a 90 or tighter bend too....
BuiltByBrooks   +1y
let see some pics and I could tell you what the deal is..........
BioMax   +1y
I'm pretty sure that Brooks can answer your questions, you can't accidently weld like he does.

I use a gas lens on just about everything. I run a low CFM rate too, about 15ish.
BuiltByBrooks   +1y
Originally posted by BioMax

I'm pretty sure that Brooks can answer your questions, you can't accidently weld like he does.

I use a gas lens on just about everything. I run a low CFM rate too, about 15ish.

Thanks Max...I would love to visit your shop one day to check out all the cool stuff you have.
BioMax   +1y
Give me a call the next time that you roll thru town...