Page 1 of 3
Ask A Pro \  Triangulated 4-Link

Triangulated 4-Link

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1353
replies 24
following 13

lowtoyz   +1y
Do the upper bars have to be parallel to the lowers?
BioMax   +1y
No.

You need to read the 4-link sticky in the suspesnion forum. There are many good questions on that thread.
granth   +1y
max, what about with fords and their narrow frames. i have seen the bottom bars outside the frame and triangulated uppers inside, but is that ideal? Or would it be better to run everything inside with the angle you can best fit?
BioMax   +1y
Idealy, you want to run the bars as wide on the rearend as possible. I would probably build a 3-link with a pannard and run the lower bars outside the frame with the single where ever it worked well. But that would depend on how short the bars were too. If they are short, then you could get away with triangulating them. It all depends on the particular situation, but it is always best to run the bars wide. The narrower the bars the more severe the roll-steer and everything has roll-steer, how much just depends on how the system is set up.
granth   +1y
Edited: 8/27/2007 1:50:11 PM by 72bumpside

Originally posted by BioMax

Idealy, you want to run the bars as wide on the rearend as possible. I would probably build a 3-link with a pannard and run the lower bars outside the frame with the single where ever it worked well. But that would depend on how short the bars were too. If they are short, then you could get away with triangulating them. It all depends on the particular situation, but it is always best to run the bars wide. The narrower the bars the more severe the roll-steer and everything has roll-steer, how much just depends on how the system is set up.

well, like you said before about the caddies, they have super short bars and really dont have any change at all, and if they do , its minimal....

I don't mind having short bars, but that really magnifies things if done wrong...right?

What about running the triangulated bar below the axle, and the uppers as straight? would this mess things up, I have seen it done...

running at 40+ angles, fromt he center of the axle, to the edge of the frame, I can fit a 20 inch bar roughly. 22 at most. anything less than that it kinda starts to defeat the whole triangulated 4 link idea no?
co2yroc   +1y
I have a astro and ill be bagging the rear. it is my first time ever using a 4or 3 link, I always used mono leaf. what is better and should i purches for mini or full size.
granth   +1y
your going to have to measure your own bar lengths, and i see most places use the standard 2.5 inch wide bar ends, 2 inch piping holding the bushing, thats 2.5 wide
co2yroc   +1y
what link set up is better a tri 4 or somthing like a wishbone 3
co2yroc   +1y
also what do i measure from (typicall lower bar length)
granth   +1y
read the wishbone thread, while I have seen a lot, I have never looked "into them". Max says they don't set up very well geometrically, your instant center tends to be at the back of the truck, rather than the front. That's no good.

If you want to run a 3 link, you can run a parallel one, not sure what would work best with yous, but a triangulated 4, setup correctly would do just fine.