Page 1 of 3
Ask A Pro \  Wishbone setups...

Wishbone setups...

Ask A Pro Q & A
views 1465
replies 20
following 8

Aussie LUX04Y   +1y
Max whats your thoughts on wishbone setups - and are there any 'ideal' dimentions for such a setup?
BioMax   +1y
Are you talking about a wishbone style 3-link?
Aussie LUX04Y   +1y
exactly... I currently have 'wait for it' a reverse canti four link but am changing it up... and we have talked about running a forward facing wishbone style three link... space being a big issue on the duel cab mazdas...
BioMax   +1y
I like the wishbone 3-links, but not on minis. The issue with them is the confines. To properly set up a wishbone, the single point needs to be in the center of the rearend and that leads to issues wih space. You would either mount the point on top of the third member, making the third member taller than it already is and making your front upper mounts much higher than they need to be (with a properly set up instant center) Or if you have the point at the chassis, the point will be limited by the heigth of the driveshaft, once again forcing the upper tabs to be much taller than they need to be. The common fix is to run the pivot off to one side, but that is just not a good idea, I would almost suggest sticking with your reverse system instead of an off center roll-center. The single point of the wishbone system is the rear roll-center and it really should be in the center, if it isn't the truck will act different from a left hand trun to a right hand turn.
Aussie LUX04Y   +1y
Edited: 8/22/2007 9:24:46 PM by Aussie LUX04Y

So do you belive there is an idea solution for a vehical such as mine... with space issues? I do want to move away from the rear facing setup as it has had some lateral issues (the bars are too long and not triangulated enough which does not help)...This is the best I've been able to come up with to now...

post photo
post photo
granth   +1y
wow, thats crazy. thats a cool truck man. your gunna have to notch the cab one way or antoher for it, it looks like....if you want front facing.
unusualfabrication   +1y
Not that I approve of 2-link set-ups but maybe with such space constraints that could be an option. Please don't pimp slap me for bringing up the 2-link Max, lol!
Aussie LUX04Y   +1y
I've actually notched it somewhat already for the tailshaft... The front is still up too so there may be futher issues when that comes down?I've never understood exactly how a two link works...? Anyone care to expalin?
unusualfabrication   +1y
2 bars solid mounted to the axle that run parrallel to each other and the frame, and attach to the frame, via bushings. You'll need a panhard bar, watts link or track bar to locate the axle laterally in the frame. Negatives are that there hardly any articulation left to right and the pinion angle is permanant. In my opinion its a last resort. I'm sure Max can list some other points to think about.
i cut it   +1y
is there any advantages or disadvantages of running the triangulated bars on the bottom of the rear end?