threads
Page 1 of 4
Audio/Video \  2ohm or 4ohm subs? what's better?

2ohm or 4ohm subs? what's better?

Audio/Video Q & A
views 3630
replies 34
following 15

SLAMMDD   +1y
I'm about to get 2 Kicker cvr 12's and was going to run a 2 channel 800 watt amp to them. Is it better to get the 2 or 4 ohm subs?

Thanks for the help
mobileheath   +1y
one isnt necessarily better than the other...it depends on what amp you are running...depends on how many subs you are running and what ohm load your amp can handle.
rickster6924   +1y
If ur going to be using a 2 channel amp than i would go with the dual 4ohm subs and wire them in series and it will produce a 4ohm load and then bridge the amp because it will produce a 4ohm load
SLAMMDD   +1y
so correct me if i'm wrong but I can only run 1 0r 4 ohm load out of a dvc 4 ohm sub and a .5 or 2 ohm load out of a 2 ohm dvc sub depending on if I run them parrallel or in series. right? so don't you think I would be better off getting the 2 ohm subs and keeping them at a 2 ohm load? I am looking to get the most bang for my buck. also would I be best off getting a mono amp or a 2 channel? thanks for the help sorry that I don't know much about subs and wiring.
hitncry   +1y
inf the subs are DVC then you want them to be dual 4ohm with that amp.

If the subs are single voice coil(SVC) then you want them to be single 2ohm with that amp.
SLAMMDD   +1y
so if i run a 2 channel amp I should get the 4 ohm subs? how would I wire them to bring them down to a 2 ohm load because the amp is rated 2x400watts at 2 ohms?

thanks
xflowgolf   +1y
Originally posted by SLAMMDD

so correct me if i'm wrong but I can only run 1 0r 4 ohm load out of a dvc 4 ohm sub and a .5 or 2 ohm load out of a 2 ohm dvc sub depending on if I run them parrallel or in series. right?

False.

A single DVC 4 ohm sub can be wired to either 8 ohms (series) or 2 ohms (parallel).

A single DVC 2 ohm sub can be wired to either 4 ohms (series) or 1 ohm (parallel)

First answer these questions and then we can help you with the optimal configuration.

1) How many subs are you running?2) How many amps (and what kind/model) are you running?

let us know. the answers will help determine the optimal sub configuration and wiring method.

SLAMMDD   +1y
Edited: 7/25/2006 6:06:30 PM by SLAMMDD

I'm going to run 2 12's

I am planning on getting a 2 channel amp

Originally posted by never2low87

so correct me if i'm wrong but I can only run 1 0r 4 ohm load out of a dvc 4 ohm sub and a .5 or 2 ohm load out of a 2 ohm dvc sub depending on if I run them parrallel or in series. right?

False.

A single DVC 4 ohm sub can be wired to either 8 ohms (series) or 2 ohms (parallel).

A single DVC 2 ohm sub can be wired to either 4 ohms (series) or 1 ohm (parallel)

First answer these questions and then we can help you with the optimal configuration.

1) How many subs are you running?2) How many amps (and what kind/model) are you running?

let us know. the answers will help determine the optimal sub configuration and wiring method.

xflowgolf   +1y
Edited: 7/25/2006 6:08:28 PM by never2low87

so if i run a 2 channel amp I should get the 4 ohm subs? how would I wire them to bring them down to a 2 ohm load because the amp is rated 2x400watts at 2 ohms?

thanks

First off.. you're going to want to run that amp bridged.. aka 800 watts x 1 channel. if it's only rated to 2 ohms per 2 channel then that means it will only withstand a 4 ohm load when bridged (most likely).

Again, tell us the brand/model of amp you're working with.

If the amp will run at 2 ohms bridged, then I would recommend a pair of DVC 2 ohm subs. That way you can run the voice coils on each sub in series to give a 4 ohm load per sub.. then you run both subs in parallel with each other to drop the overall resistance back to 2 ohms.

However, if the amp will only run at 4 ohms bridged (which sounds like that is the case), then you should get the DVC 4 ohm subs, which will give you 8 ohms per sub in series, wired together as a pair in parallel drops back to 4 ohms and matches up with the amp nicely.

confused yet? haha
OGDOUGHBOY   +1y
figure out which amp you want first, if its most power is at 1 ohm and stable then go wit the dvc 4 ohm if its most stable power is 2 ohms then get the dvc 2ohm

if your running 2 subs just get a mono amp and follow what i said above