Page 1 of 4
Chevy/GMC Trucks \  67-72 C-10 Sectioned Crossmember

67-72 C-10 Sectioned Crossmember

Chevy/GMC Trucks Make Specific
views 13766
replies 31
following 22

FloorVair   +1y
Anyone got detailed pics? This is one route ive been thinking of going on my 72 burban. Does the steering shaft have to be modified with a sectioned crossmember? Thanks in Advance
Wicked Fantacies   +1y
Ive been toying with the idea of not having to section the cross member to do 22 to the door. I would think by shortening the control arms some you would be able to pull it off having gotten for enough along my built to experiment with this.
TwistedMinis   +1y
Here are pictures of the sectioning of the crossmember.

Section it 1 3/4". Don't go 2", or you will have pretty bad steering problems. Your steering linkage will hit the bolts that hold the lower arms in place. Also, you will have to cut a 1/4" out of the top of your arm on the DS towards the radiator for a nut that hangs of the frame. Forget what that is part of. Also, you will have to move your steering linkage to the BOTTOM part of the spindle steering arm. How you do this is up to you. The easiest way, and the way my buddy is doing it, is drill the taper out to 3/4" (about the biggest part of the taper) and put heim joints on the ends of the steering linage. This will eliminate all of the problems up to 20s. 22s and you will need to notch some of the frame for the steering. You'll also have to angle your upper balljoint down, and cut out a stock suspension limiter. Thats about all it took to lay my buddys out on 20s. This was, however on an 80s style truck. Everything is very very similar up front, but there are little differences. So, hopefully this helps in yoru decision.

Also, on the body mount thing, I talked ot a guy at a show, with this truck.he said he put 1" tall rubber mounts under the cab.
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
dragginsteel67   +1y
I put this into your other thread, but have a look at this forum.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=60649

Wicked Fantacies   +1y
^ Good lookin truck
Wicked Fantacies   +1y
dee da dee im a dumbass i thought u were talking about sectioning it to narrow the front track
TwistedMinis   +1y
Lol, honest mistake. We're sectioning for height reasons. I'm not fond of Z'ing frames, so my buddy and I have been working on doing it to both our trucks.
TwistedMinis   +1y
Lol, dee da dee. Didn't catch that. Carlos Mencia is my hero.
FloorVair   +1y
I like the idea of sectioning it, but from what i gather from the other site, 1 3/4 isnt enough to get the crossmember even with the frame. I wish it wasnt dark, i need to go do some measuring!
TwistedMinis   +1y
Forgot about the steering shaft part. You'll need two universal joints to clear the upper arms. At least, thats what it looks like at this point. I can get pictures of where it's at now if you need them.