Page 1 of 3
Sport Compact General \  frame for unibody

frame for unibody

Sport Compact General General Discussions
views 1071
replies 22
following 14

juicedwagon   +1y
hey guys,girls just lookin for some tips. im thinkin about building a frame for my accord wagon but im not sure if i should build it like a framed cars body with a floor and such on the body and bolt it to the frame or if i should just build the frame and weld it to the unibody kinda like a new floor. any help would be great. thanks guys/girls
DodgeRT   +1y
prolly the first idea.
BigJay43   +1y
heck I think you could do either one. I guess its like do you plan on rediong anything later on where you want to strip it back down again?

If its gonna be just as simple as unbolting the body from the frame you built the second idea might be better for more detail work like paint and stuff.

fatheadjames   +1y
If I was going to go through the trouble of building a frame for a unibody I would make the body removable for sure.
bodydropped85   +1y
ah but if u made it come off, you would have to brace the ever living fuck out of the body so the glass doesnt pop out or the body itself buckle. i would strip the car complety(motor tranny suspension etc)make inner cage strucute fro the front end and inside the car to keep it from buckleing. set the car on the ground and see what lays and keeps ya from layin rocker, 2x3 the front rails, tubeular a arms front and back(or solid axle) and just build a new floor. my jeep is unibody(commanche XJ) and im goin to do this but with an s10 frame.
juicedwagon   +1y
well looks like im gonna be building it so the body is removable. does anybody know where i can find pics of others work doin the same thing? i know how to do it but somethimes you want to check out someone elses work for extra ideas
Twisted Galant   +1y
Weld it. Im gonna make a tube front for the galant to connect to the front core and the fire wall on the sides that is. I will prob make some tubed pieces that will bolt on over the motor that will reinforce everything and hold the air bags.
Xpendable   +1y
Im in the process of building a frame for my mustang . We crossbraced the interior before we cut the floor out and had no problems but like bagged85 said the car is completely stripped. We replated the bottom of the rockers with some 10 gauge that we had broke into an L shape . This gave us a thick area on the inside of the rocker to build body mounts and weld the new floor to.
juicedwagon   +1y
anyone have any build up pics of this?
totallyjuicy   +1y
i built a hole frame for my car and put a v8 in it. i us 4 by 4 1/4in angleiorn 4 my rockers. can see car at art of noize show.