Page 1 of 1
Sport Compact General \  Unibody drop

Unibody drop

Sport Compact General General Discussions
views 1583
replies 7
following 5

CLNSHVNnDRAGGN   +1y
I've been doing alot of searching trying to get the info I need but have so far come up with nothing. I'm getting close to the point of doing a unibody drop on the sentra but still am not sure how to go about it. Unlike a honda I have to do alot more than just raise up the suspension because on a nissan the sub-frame actually hangs down lower than everything else kinda like a truck. My question is, can it be done similar to a truck with basicly cutting out the floor, letting the body drop over it and then weld it all back together? I need any info or advice any of you can give me. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about with the sub-frame hanging down.

pearldrop   +1y
Accords and Preludes have the same problem. In fact even more so up front between the wheels.

The only ones that don't have anything hanging down are Civics and Integras.
CLNSHVNnDRAGGN   +1y
so hasn't anyone done one of those??? Anyone know how it's done? i've been told to just build a frame to put it on but don't see how that would be any different than doing pretty much a conventional body drop and reenforcing the floor more.
CLNSHVNnDRAGGN   +1y
BUMP

bdroppeddak   +1y
why couldnt you cut the floor out and lower the body? just brace the body up good, cut the floor, and weld everything back up.
CLNSHVNnDRAGGN   +1y
that's what I'm wondering. I was thinking if I did that, use 1/4" from the floor to the body, then go from that to the subframe underneath with some bracing which could also be welded to the underside of the floor just to be safe. There's also a roll cage going in that I'm sure I could tie into the upper part of the body too. I just want to be sure it can be done this way before I end up fucking the car up and ending up carless and most likely divorced.

fatheadjames   +1y
yea man you should be fine cutting it and bracing it. even better if you have a roll cage.
FloorVair   +1y
Im gettin started on my unibody drop right now. Its pretty much like your thinking, although with my car, there is much more structure than there is in any newer japanese vehicle. The rockers in a corvair are basically a 2x3 3/16 wall tube with another piece of 3/16 plate running vertically down the middle. Im cutting the floor out and raising it 2.5 inches to lay the car flat on the rockers. Where the the subframes go up in the front and in the rear im cutting a 2.5 inch section out of them and plating where it was cut with 3/16 plate.

With your car, you may want to think about rebuilding the rockers with 2x2 or 2x3 when you raise the floor, to help keep its strength. Newer cars arent made or shit, gotta remember that, they are very precisely engineered to use the minimum steel thinkness to keep costs down.
Page 1 of 1