threads
Page 1 of 1
Car Care \  Polishing everything on the engine. Need Help!

Polishing everything on the engine. Need Help!

Car Care Q & A
views 693
replies 6
following 5

nurface   +1y
I have been using a dremel to polish my engine. I have been using their wheel-shaped brush with carbon steel wire bristles #428. It has been working great and I have used it everywhere! I have the manofold, and parts of the engine brackets and brake lines polished with it. Now I read on their website that it will lead to rust! Did I make a big mistake using it on my manofold???? I have the whole top half polished and shiny I noticed today that silver came off on my hand when I touched it.

Here is a link to their page.

http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/bit_template.asp?SKU=428&Color=CC9900
mtm   +1y
hmmm all i can say is keep it oily and it will keep the rust off for a little while. When did you do it? usualy rust will begin to form within 24 hours depending on the ammount of moisture in the air
nurface   +1y
i did it last night, it sitting in the garage. it looks really nice but i don't want to finish it if it's going to rust on me.
VtecCrx   +1y
Maybe you can polish it and get some sort of Hi temp clear sprayed on it? I've never heard of one, but you never know. If you have to you could just paint it nice with some high temp paint.

yager-
krazeryn   +1y
If it is aluminum it wont "rust" but it will get some minor corrosion that will take the shinnyness away but it will still look alright. If you are refering to the exhaust manifold it is cast iron and yes it will rust. But that no big deal, all exhaust manifolds are rusty. The only thing you can do to prevent that is get it ceramic coated. Things like brake lines and anything else steel will also start to rust. I sugget painting them or like VtecCrx suggested clear coat them.
nurface   +1y
thanx for the help! the main thing that I am worried about is the engine itself. i started polishing the top of block and it looks awesome but it still might rust on me?
krazeryn   +1y
I block is probably cast iron....so yes it will rust.

Originally posted by nurface

thanx for the help! the main thing that I am worried about is the engine itself. i started polishing the top of block and it looks awesome but it still might rust on me?

Page 1 of 1