threads
Page 1 of 2
Yota Lowering \  Reverse 4 link? good bad indifferent?

Reverse 4 link? good bad indifferent?

Yota Lowering Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 1023
replies 12
following 5

jlwsyota   +1y
Hey folks new to the scene here and just wanted to get some opinions on rear setup for my 94 yota.
I have been trying to research ideas but seams theres quite a few options.
I have been talking a little with Steve at CanDo Specialties and I'm liking the reverse 4 link setup like in the Anti-Hack project.
So I 'm looking for input, opinions, and even suggestions.
Thanks for your time.
truck action   +1y
Most very book on suspension talks about this, & laws of physics can't be changed!
With bars facing rearward the vehicle will left in the rear both on acceleration & braking, & if bars are facing forward will push ( plant ) the rear downward! If a 50%-50% ,bars forward & rearward will cancel the downward action!
Yes people do it, & yes some say it works. But under extreme actions the handing will be in question!
Forward is what works the best, period!
nc dragger   +1y
Im running a reverse 4 link and love it. I have put many miles on it and no problems at all
lets you keep the gas tank in stock location . I like the reverse and thanks to steve at cando for the info
on it.
guhkid   +1y
alot of people say bad about a reverse 4 link but iam running the cando bolt on on my taco and its my daily driver... i have driven thousands of miles on it with out fail....i drag it daily andbeat the shit out of it...no complaints here...but just my 2 Cents...
cable   +1y
I too have put a lot of research into this,your gonna get mixed opinions on this subject ALWAYS!!!to be blunt forward is the correct/only correct way to set up a 4 link!!!you can do a reverse,you can do a 50/50,they all will get your truck off the ground,they all will prob. out last your truck,if you want 8in of lift or so you're prob not gonna be able to tell the difference until it comes to hard braking,and acceleration.the twisting forces your axle goes through during these time are when your gonna notice the biggest differences and also when it comes to lift and pinion angle.now i'm not saying you cant take off or stop with reverse or 50/50,you can.but truth be told a reverse 4 link lifts the axle up during acceleration,where a forward pushes down-creating traction.a 50/50 more or less cancels out both the pushing force of the forward bars,and the lifting force of the rear facing bars.when it comes to lift,a forward can achieve anywhere from 13 to 19in. of lift(or more!depending on truck,length of bar,bag placement) with hardly any pinion angle change(assuming equal length bars from a side view,not actual bar length)my truck was 50/50 bag over axle for prob.8 years or better,nothing ever broke,was just fine. it's currently completely reverse and is fine with little lift,but it's wrong!as soon as my 9in. axle is complete she's getting back half'd with a forward facing 4 link,bag on bar with about a 2:1 ratio(bags in center of lower bars)don't want to offend anyone,like I said,all these designs will get your truck off the ground,but the correct way is forward.not to mention the only difference is a crummy gas tank.a spun aluminum gas tank or a fuel cell and a inline fuel pump will solve those problems.or just extend your fuel lines/wires and mount it in the rear of your frame.but don't take my word for it.do some research on it,read bio max's 4 link article.there's more to a 4 link than throwing the bars under the truck and rolling it down the highway,not to mention dangerous!!! READ MAX'S 4 LINK ARTICLE!!!you'll learn more about 4 links there than anywhere else.and if you decide to go with a reverse or 50/50 setup at least you will have made an informed decision!

max's 4 link article....

a good read on reverse 4 links....

in this video,note how the pinion hardly changes with the forward equal length bars,and the reverse pulls the axle back.....
Post was last edited on Oct 23, 2010 06:10. This post has been edited 1 times.
cable   +1y
more good reads....

guhkid   +1y
hey thanks man thats sooooome good reading there...very infomative
jlwsyota   +1y
YEs most definately thanks man for all the great links and info.
cable   +1y
glad to help
nc dragger   +1y
I have been in this hobby of mini truckin from the early 90's and I would say the most important thing is have someone do it that knows what there doing or make sure to do your home work before cutting. I have had
both set ups and like the Reverse setup better then then forward IMO.