Yota Lowering \  front bags on 86

front bags on 86

Yota Lowering Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 2361
replies 30
following 6

2thpic   +1y
Ok, i have never baged a toyota before.
What that out of the way...........................
I need to know what is a good bag for the front and what is the best way to mount them?
Via SD's kit, pre made one that is made to fit or what else.

i need help before i slap cash around and find out that i should not have bought something that is gimped.
2thpic   +1y
these are the mounts that i'm thinking of getting.

Anyone ever used/installed these before?
2thpic   +1y
these are the back brackets, these i'm not to sure of. theye look like they might not hold up to good
truck action   +1y
I have a bagged 88 ( 84-88) are the same.
First off you need to plan all out very well so not doing double work = $$$$$ & time!
Lay out a plan of what you want,too lay frame, ride quality,parts quality,cost,etc.
Make a good parts list ,parts wanted ,part numbers,cost,availability. Research all the forms, articles,how too, then go from there !
Do things the right way & don't cut cornners. If you stick to this plan,you will end up with a great ride ,that will be safe & last!!
With that said,good luck with your project. And I did not want over the axle bags ,or convoluted bags in the rear as poor ride quality. Would recommend sleeve type bags & in front of or behind the axle!
Forward linked opposed to rearward or 50%-50% ( front facing/rear facing)

Gary/Truck Action
burnzya   +1y
when i bought my 86, it had the same front mounts as the ones you posted. they worked find, but kinda limit the travel. the truck could hop about 8" off the ground in the front with 1/2" valves and they held up fine.

it also had the bag on axle, using the same as the axle side mounts you posted, but the previous owner built a half ass bridge for the top mounts. besides barely being welded on they worked fine as well.
2thpic   +1y

How low would it go in the front with them mounts?
2thpic   +1y

yea, i think your 88 it prob. one of the best looking ones around.
i've been trying to come up with a good list of parts and hows too's, but there again. thats where i need help.
I found a half way ho too on the minitruckin' web site on bagged toyota but it would be nice to have a better break down on all the steps.

Do you have a build thread on your truck????
2thpic   +1y
Gary, if you have any pics of your front set-up that i can look at that would be cool.
burnzya   +1y

the front would lay engine crossmember. they had actually took a bit of it off while dragging the front (frame wasn't z'd). the brackets limit the lift. the upper control arm would hit the bag bracket at about 6" of lift, before the bag had a chance to go to fully extended.

bagging the front of a torsion truck is really pretty basic. you can buy the "torsion bag bracket" kits from suicide doors and several other places. then just weld the bottom plate to the lower control arm, and clearance the stock suspension so the bag won't rub (only minor trimming really) the get the upper bag plate set in place. then add the gussets and you're all set.

****if your not sure how it's done, it might be a good idea to either have it done by someone experienced in welding and fabrication, or try to find someone local who's done an install (properly ). once you see first hand how it's done, you'll understand just how basic the process is! ****
burnzya   +1y
also, the way the torsion kits are designed, they all can potentially limit the lift, due to the upper control arm hitting the bracket, just like the bolt on kits. you can get around it a bit by mounting the bag closer to the pivot of the lower control arm (you'll need to trim more of the original engine/suspension x-member), or buy/make some tubular upper control arms.