threads
Page 1 of 2
Yota Lowering \  Interest in a Toyota specific 3-link?

Interest in a Toyota specific 3-link?

Yota Lowering Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 898
replies 13
following 7

twisted minis   +1y
I am in the middle of designing a weld on "self-jigging" 3-link setup specific for the Toyotas. It will basically slip into place, locate itself, and you weld it on. It is designed to keep the tank in the stock location, while also lifting it up above the bottom of the frame. I wanted something that required as little fabrication as possible, and didn't intrude into the bed floor much. I'm curious if anyone would actually be interested in something like this for a future project? Or if I am likely just waisting my time?
m_i_zombie   +1y
Actually thats sounds like a great idea. Is it a similar deal as SD's s-10 link is ? For myself i'm working on a full size at the moment. I have another toyota mini lined up but I would have to see how the work deal goes, can't buy anything without a job. Personally i don't think you would be wasting your time. The economy blows at the moment and it would be difficult to say if you could sell a lot of these right now.
xtotalanarcoix   +1y
would it be similar to the wishbone you have on your truck? I feel quality forward link kits are few and far between for our trucks and with all the time you put in on all the various forums I doubt it would be a waste of time if you feel you could manufacture the kit at a competitive price. That would be the only real problem i see, you know thorbecke and the other big companies are getting their material at a bulk discount and have employees assembling their kits where you also have to worry about running your shop at the same time. short answer, give it a go.
twisted minis   +1y
I guess you could say it will be similar to the SD 3-link. It's a similar design, but it will be a more involved install. I don't feel there is a safe way to design a bolt on kit for the Toyota frame, and if there was, I don't think it would look good. But my idea is to jig the cross member off of the existing bed mounts. I have a cross member built that bolts to the bed mount in front of the axle to locate it, and lines up between the two bed mounts behind the cab. The wishbone will be similar to the one on my truck, but I am changing some things to improve the design and the geometry of the setup, and also make it look better IMO. I should have a wishbone wrapped up by Monday with pictures. Until then here are some pictures of the parts I have been working on.

First is the tank relocation brackets. The first one bolts to the front of the tank, moves it back an inch and up 3/4" so that it is above the bottom of the frame.
thread post photo

thread post photo

The second needs to be welded on to the frame in the notch area. I leave an extra 1/8" on it to be trimmed off, since some people will run an 8 piece notch, and some might run a 3-piece, which will make a difference in the frame thickness in that area.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

And these are the lower link brackets on the frame side. They are designed to sit above the frame a good bit, and also protect the bushing from dragging.
thread post photo

thread post photo

And they will use the bed mounts to line them up. The stock spring perches will need to be removed entirely.
thread post photo

I've thought about offering them both TIG and MIG welded at a different price. The wishbone and links would be TIG welded in both versions, but everything else could be optional. I also want to offer it with bag/shock mounts that work with sleeve bags behind the axle, and a common size shock. Also just a shock mount for those that want to run bag over axle, or build a 5-link type setup. It's all designed to fit under the stock bed floor though, with minimal trimming.

As far as price goes, that will depend on a few things. I am going to have most of the pieces laser cut to knock down the time level, and I am already working on jigs for everything. I also have a kid working for me now that I can get to cut pieces based on the templates I have, so I can basically just assemble it myself and get it done faster. I'd like to keep it in the $900-1000 range with bags included, along with all the brackets. And maybe a $150 difference to TIG the remainder of the parts. I also might sell Bilsteins with the kit at a discounted price, because I am getting a decent break on them now. About a $10 difference from KYBs. I plan on using a QA1 rod end for the single pivot on the axle, and bushings everywhere else. But I am going to offer a pivot joint (nicer than the SD ones IMO, different company) on the lower bars for about $100 upgrade.

Does that sound reasonable? I will probably be ready to produce this in about a month. And I have worked out a deal with the local powder coating place that did my frame, to coat the wishbone, bars, and brackets that don't get welded to for $150-200 based on the color.
kdcgrohl   +1y
Sounds like a great idea Seth. Our community needs something like this. I'm sure the economy in its current state will influence things quite abit, but its nice to see options out there. I'm sure you could make a go of this. Nice looking stuff.
smctoy   +1y
I think its a great plan & I feel you should move forward with it. Im one of those people who wants to bag their truck, but would like to keep the gas tank in the stock location so this kit would be perfect. I know there are an
ass of S10's out there, but shops need to realize that there are more than just them & Im glad to see you/Seth are looking out for your fellow mini-truckers. As always sic designs & awesome looking parts!
xtotalanarcoix   +1y
props on that rear tank bracket that thing looks great! I also like using the bed mount to line up the link tab.
m_i_zombie   +1y
That set up is looking sweet. From the way your making things sound and look it should be basically a no-brainer like all the crap thats made for s-10's.
twisted minis   +1y

That's realistically my only concern. I've wanted to do this for a long time now, and after getting a lift I have spent a lot of time measuring on my truck planning this out. It's just a large cost getting everything laser cut, and stocking up on the parts to build it all and not come up short. People are still buying arms and motor mounts, but not nearly as often as before. But if I can sell a few I can recover the cost. But I do really want to do this, because I think the import trucks need something like this. It will take all the guess work out of suspension.
mdevaneydesign   +1y
This is a great idea Dude.
Most people use a simple setup anyway. So if you can offer it in an even easier way that's even better.
I would be interested when I finally get the funds up to do my truck.

The self aligning thing is the best part i think. I hate to measure important because I start to second guess everything. the less, the better. haha