threads
Page 1 of 2
Yota Lowering \  should I plate the frame for coilovers?

should I plate the frame for coilovers?

Yota Lowering Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 996
replies 11
following 6

macdave06   +1y
I've been told that for bag mounts the frame needs to have a plate welded onto the side of the frame to prevent the bracket from tearing out.

I'm welding the upper coil-over bracket onto the corner of my frame and I'm wondering if I should plate the side and top of the frame, or if it's safe to just weld the mounts on.

The bracket will wrap around the corner of the frame. It wont be mounted just to the side of the frame like a bag mount.
Post was last edited on Nov 22, 2008 02:11. This post has been edited 1 times.
kdcgrohl   +1y
Pics of the area(s) in question would be most helpful in a diagnosis.
macdave06   +1y
thread post photo

only on mine the bracket for the upper contorl arm has been cut off as I'm using custom control arms that mount with heims rather than on a cross bar.
kdcgrohl   +1y
Here's mine. CanDo brackets and CanDo arms. Basically custom, not a million of them out there. Anyway, Cut the crap off my frame, like your pic. Plated the hole. Welded the bag plate on after trimming down. Welded on gussets. If you're not hopping this truck, this is more than adequate.
macdave06   +1y
well see that's the issue. it's getting a v8 and eventually it'll probably have the power to lift the nose (only about 300 horses now). so that's why I was thinking I might need to plate it.

this is for coil-overs by the way, not bags.
macdave06   +1y
anybody know?
slammed   +1y
If it is even being questioned, why not just plate it ? It is better to build it stronger and not worry, then always have the thought it might tear the frame.
macdave06   +1y
I guess that's true.
dubvipers   +1y
build reinforcing
layedout72   +1y
don't literally lay a plate over it...just cap the areas that are open. your gussets (mount, gusset, whatever) are wrapping on to two surfaces, not just one. I wouldn't worry about "plating" it like you would to wrap a lowrider frame. Just cap the area, do the gussets and maybe add another off the side of the ones that your kit uses. I don't see why a coil over would produce a huge amount more force than a bag at ~80 psi....