Page 1 of 2
Yota Lowering \  MID SHAFT BEARING TROUBLE

MID SHAFT BEARING TROUBLE

Yota Lowering Yota Suspension Yota Tech
views 881
replies 10
following 4

chopped~n~dropped   +1y
Ok, las week i took my truck out for another test run and I got going down the street and drug it a little ways and aired it back up then it started making a horrible noise and vibrating like hell. So I got it back to the shop and I was looking for what it was and my mid dhaft bearing was coming apart. What do you think could have caused this? I was going very fast and I probably didn't even go a 1/8th of a mile. Could it have just needed to be replaced. Another thing thats happening to me is the tranny(auto) is very hard to shift from park to the other gears when it's aired down. I don't wanna have to replace my transmission next I'm pretty much broke because of my truck now. I need help quick! I've already ordered the new bearing and it will be here tomorrow.
Post was last edited on Apr 02, 2008 06:04. This post has been edited 1 times.
twisted minis   +1y
Sounds like your link setup is pushing your driveshaft into the carrier bearing, which in turn is pushing the first shaft into the transmission. The carrier bearings are only meant to move about 1/2" forward and back. If it is moving more than that it will wear out quickly, or tear itself apart. Your cheapest fix is going to be putting a slip spline in your driveshaft. Costs around $150 or so, and it will save you replacing carrier bearings every few months, and it will also save your transmission. If in fact it is pushing into the transmission, dragging it will be putting a lot fo strain on the internal components.
kdcgrohl   +1y

bingo. Fix the problem, those bearings very pricey to be replacing all the time.
chopped~n~dropped   +1y
Do you think that the pitch of my rear end could have anything to do with it. I don't have it adjusted out yet but right now when it's on the ground the rear end is straight it's not pitched up or down just straight. My uncle said that it needed to have a 4degree pitch on the rear end. I just haven't had time to do it yet.
twisted minis   +1y
Its not the pinion angle. Your links are pulling the axle too far forward.
chopped~n~dropped   +1y
Ok, i got my midshaft(carrier) bearing in last night and I just took my truck down the street. It does fine but once I get a bit above 40psi the bolts hit the bearing. Is there any solution to this besides getting a new driveshaft made?
holcombe347   +1y
re-work your suspension setup so it doesnt result in your rear end moving back and fourth through its travel.
twisted minis   +1y

Impossible without IRS. All link setups will have an arc to them. The key is to minimize it.
holcombe347   +1y
^^ haha... i didnt word that correctly but yes, minimize is the key word.
chopped~n~dropped   +1y
Ok, Well i got it worked out so the bolts on the driveshaft don't hit my metal on the midshaft bearing. At drive height the bearing sits normal. On the ground it pulls the driveshaft and rubber in the bearing towards the rear. And above drive height it pushes the driveshaft foward towards the front of the truck. I might have it backwards but I think thats how it went. I'm guessing it's normal for it to flex this much?