threads
Page 1 of 2
Yota Exterior \  How much material should I get?

How much material should I get?

Yota Exterior Yota Tech
views 1376
replies 11
following 3

macdave06   +1y
Sometime in the near future I"ll be painting a friend of mines 66 c-10. It'll be pearl white with blue racing stripes. I'm trying to price out materials for it but I'm not sure what I should order materials wise.

Heres the materials I'll be using:
Kp2cf epoxy primer
ko seal II white sealer
bc26 white basecoat
one of two pbc blues just for rally stripes maybe some lettering
sg100 intercoat clear as a barrier/carrier
dp21 dry pearl
uc-35 klear
then obviously however much reducer and catalyst to go along with them.
Were doin the interior and engine bay but I dont think were doin the inside of the bed. What should I need as far as materials?
baha   +1y
I love that primer it sands so good. Depends on the body work and how many times you plan on blocking it for the primer but I would say 2-3 gallons for both parts total 1.5ea. Remember that epoxy primer you need equal parts of A and B.

I've done a whole car with one gallon of paint and had left over so since the C10 has more surface area + the engine bay and interior I would get 2 gallons of the sealer, clear, and paint. Reducer I would get 2 gallons but then again the directions from the manufacturer should give you an idea of how much you need along with the catalyst.

Cable should be able to give you more info since he works in auto body.
cable   +1y
me...work...hahahaha thats a good 1!!!hok reduces 2 to 1,so it goes a good ways,baha is right ,I would do 1.5 to 2gallon on each,esp.the primer,depending on how many coats/sand/recoats it gets,get 2 of each since they will be covering everything,the blue,sg100,and the pearl are gonna be dependant on how wide/long/and how many coats your gonna lay down,don't forget to price tape,tack cloth,plastic film for the windows,fine line tape,these cost can really add up and then you have to request more money or eat it,so allow more $ than your thinking in case you might have to run out at the last minute for extra supplies,and always get a little more material than you need you might not use 1 and1/4 gallon,you might use 1 and 1/2-3/4....it makes for good touch ups to have extra material left over,post up pics!!!
macdave06   +1y
Are you sayin 1-1/2 to 2 gallons rts or before anything is added?

sg100 I think I'll be safe with 2 coats but the only intercoat I've sprayed is with candy so I'm not sure how itll cover with the dry pearl.
cable   +1y
yeah 1.5-2 gallons primer/sealer/base/clear,whe you mix your sg 100/reducer/pearl up,take the paint stick out and rotate it under lights,you'll be able to get a better idea if how much coverage your gonna get,it's like spraying clear kandy,lol.but keep in mind the more coats you lay down the thicker/more visible the tape edge is gonna be,your only adding pearl to the blue stripes right?if your gonna pearl the whole thing I would just add the pearl to the 1st and 2nd coat of clear.
macdave06   +1y
The stripes are gonna be pbc36 trublue. The plan I had was to base the truck white and then spray the sg100/pearl to seal the white and pearl it, then tape off and spray the trublue stripes, don't see alotta sense in spraying pearl over a pearl base. It makes sense to do it that way right, or am I over doin it?
Main color:
thread post photo

stripes:
thread post photo

edit: I just re-read the tech sheet and I read it wrong the first time. I thought it said only sg-100 and sg-150 but it says you can mix the pearl into any of their clears. I guess I still need sg100 between the stripes and the base though right?
cable   +1y
I've never done that,usually the only time you want to use sg-100(inter-coat clear) is when you want to spray a kandy or a pearl on a certain area.I would spray the truck white,after all your coats of white are done,let it tack/dry,run a tack rag over it,lay out your stripes with fineline tape,tape everything but stripes, tac rag stripes,spray all coats,un tape everything,tack rag again,clear,I have seen the tape pull the base coat off many a time,but usually this only happens when the base coat has poor adhesion to the primer/sealer,not clean,or mixing paint systems.stick with all house of kolor,sand well,keep everything clean,and use hi quality lo-tac tape,your paint supplier should be able to help you more than anything,as they've heard it all & are usually in the loop of the problems you could run into,tell them exactly what your doing and they should be able to spot a problem,if your wanting to mix systems which is where I usually see most problems.good luck & post pics
macdave06   +1y
Yeah thats what I'm worried about. I've had it pull up on me before. I guess if it does pull up on me white would be the color to have it happen on.

So I'm looking at 2 gallons rts of primer, sealer, base and clear? plus maybe 2/3qts of pbc36?

While we're on the paint subject, I'm considering buying a new gun for sprayin the pretty stuff. I got two snap-on sharpe t-1(I believe) knock-offs a 1.3 and 1.7. And a 1.5 blue-point gun. I've shot sata guns before with great results but somethin keeps pullin me towards iwata's lph-400. I love their airbrushes so I'd assume the same quality would come from their guns.
cable   +1y
you should be fine,it's in the prep more than everything,if the tape adhere's to your base more than it adhere'd to the sealer,then it's gonna come off with the tape,lol.after you wet sand your sealer--good,clean it with some kc20 post sanding cleaner,then I'm thinking kc10 wax and grease remover before you tack rag everything,then lay down your base, there's not much more precautions you can take than that,lol.

your quantities are good...

I like Iwata myself,the lph-400 I hear is a great gun,I would dedicate a primer specific gun(1.7 ) then you can use your lph-400 for the rest.
macdave06   +1y
kc10 on the basecoat?