threads
Page 1 of 2
Yota Exterior \  86 to 95 bumber conversion problems!!

86 to 95 bumber conversion problems!!

Yota Exterior Yota Tech
views 1237
replies 12
following 4

beyondstockyota   +1y
Well i have been messing with this bumper for 4 hours now and it seems it will never fit right.... I think I'm missing some peices because the only thing I have holding the bumper on is the 84-89 to 91-95 bumper conversion brackets holding the bumper on my 1986 pickup and nothing else. I got the truck when it was COMPLETELY torn apart so I dont know if I'm missing something. ALSO the bumper has about a 1/2" gap right in the middle between the bumper and grill, almost as if it's not back far enough, but the brackets wont allow it to go any farther back... did anyone have to modify their brackets or anything and if so how. Also am I missing a support or something because the brackets alone seems weak....
l o w n l o u d   +1y
where did the brackets come from? The side brackets for the 86 will have to be modied to accomidate the new bumper, OR, just ghetto it with some tie wire ( your choice ) FYI, Conversion bumpers are NOT known for strength, they are for looks, but can be modified to be strong. FYI the aftermarket valnce was the beaotch for me, good thing its getting swapped out . . .
m_i_zombie   +1y
Pending on who made your brackets your going to have trouble. I have the 93-95 4runner bumper and I used FBI's brackets. I spent more time modifying the damn things than I would have if i built them from scratch. For the brackets on the side of the bumper you can make your own or take a pair from the 86 and combine them with a pair from the year bumper your using. use the originals for the top portion (where they bolt to the inner fender) the lower for mounting to the bumper since they mount different there.

As far as the gap goes your never going to get rid of it fully unless you chop it up and rechrome it.
beyondstockyota   +1y
My brackets are from FBI, and I got the bumper to fit a little better by trimming the lower holes on both brackets. HOWEVER I dont have any side brackets for either the 86 or the 95....

Lowandloud, my valance caused me 5 stithes dam it! I spent another 3-4 hours tripping and fitting it together to the bumper. When I almost had it all on a scew slipped and the valance sliced me...

I guess I need to call some junk yards and get these brackets... anyone know where I could locate them? Does anyone have a picture of their bumper complete...
m_i_zombie   +1y
sometime the side brackets pop up on ebay, usually go for about $20 a pair. or you'll have to get them from a yard.

thread post photo

thread post photo
beyondstockyota   +1y
do you have a side picture of that bumper?
l o w n l o u d   +1y
Without a doubt, unless you take down some of the edges on those valances, they ARE sharp as hell, I cut three fingers installing mine, nothing like a nice deep laceration from a metal object " woo hoo ". I admit, I didnt swap my side hanger brackets at first, I was to anxious after spending all the time on it, SO, I wire tied it and went fora drive. I modified the hanger with some flat iron and bent it to the new bumper, I then installed a large flat washer and bolt/lock washer/nut to finish it off ( basically a L-shaped hanger). Ill try and get some pics, but, itll be next week, sorry I know how everyone hates " promised pictures "

P.S. Zombie, IM still looking forward to those pictures now that Im done with my suspension, Love that front end & color. . .
beyondstockyota   +1y
I found these on ebay, are these the side brackets or the front brackets? I can't figure it out without a picture of a side bracket...

l o w n l o u d   +1y
They are the front brackets for a stock truck only, and will not work for you, Damn, I should make some up, these things were simple as hell to make and works well, I just dont know why others dont offer them ( The light is on "!
beyondstockyota   +1y
lmao, well I dont know how the orig. went together thats why I'm stumbleing on the idea of making one... but Im going to go ahead and make some from scratch...