threads
Page 1 of 1
Yota Exterior \  What now? I need some help please.

What now? I need some help please.

Yota Exterior Yota Tech
views 645
replies 5
following 5

zip tyd   +1y
I had a friend of mine helping me through this process, because I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to kind of thing. Recently he just decided that he no longer wants to help, and has left me out to the wolves...what a friend huh? So here I am...what need's to be done next? I know I need to grind the welds down smooth, but after that I have no idea. Someone told me that I could fill in he gaps with fiberglass...but that kinda sounds retarded and wrong to me. I know I need some body filler, but I'm not sure what brand is better then most. After the filler is applied do I sand it smooth, and call it a day? I need some major advice/help. Here are two pictures so you guys can see what I'm working with. Also, I am going to have it re-painted so whatever it takes is cool with me. I'm not going to try and save the paint on it's ass. Thank you for your time.

thread post photo

thread post photo
phatboislim   +1y
im no professional, but i think from there, u just continue spot welding til its almost completely filled, then grind down the spot welds, then apply bondo, block sand, prime, paint
nismorgan   +1y
yeah, what he said...but remember when spot welding it all in, jump around from side to side. if you weld one spot, then the one right next to it, and etc...the metal will warp from all the heat so do a corner, then the opposite one, or something to that effect
slammedtoys   +1y
tack tack tack.... take a break... tack tack tack.... take a break... continue to do it like that. You would much rather have it take a long time to finish rather than warp the metal. Also remember when you are grinding that you can still warp the metal. never hold the grinder long in one place. You are going to have to weld that thing solid if you dont want your paint to crack later. so just be slow and tack away. remember to follow step one... never be in a hurry. also where those gaps are is going to cause it to burn in easier so build up your weld a tad
yodaforce   +1y
I do this same type work all day everyday. It is very easy to get what I call "warp wrinkles" around the work. Even with just one quick tack, the metal will expand around that tack and try to warp. Being that it is on a big ol flat surface, you would probably also want to keep an air hose in your left hand while the welder is in your right. Tack, blow to cool it, move to opposite side, tack, blow, etc.... Move around with the grinder like it was allready said. I like to use an air angle die grinder with 24-36 grit roll-locs. Little 1.5" sanding wheels that twist onto the mount. I always like to do my first coat after the welds in Dynaglass bodyfiller. Sand down to the welds (filling all of the mess you cannot grind out), then a coat of filler (I like Evercoat Rage, Rage Gold, or lite weight) Then I would go over it after sanding smooth with 180 grit block, with a very thin coat of light weight putty, just to fill any pinholes, sanding scratches, etc.. After that, spray with 2k fller primer, block out with a guide caot to ensure it is all flat and smooth with 180 or 220. Spray final primer, wet sand with 600 on the primed area, 1000 on the rest of the panel, then it is ready to repaint. If you do not plan to paint it right when you are done, just don't wet sand it until you are ready to have it painted. Good luck.
zip tyd   +1y
Thanks for all the advice. It really seems like I have my work cut out for me though...
Page 1 of 1