threads
Page 1 of 1
Yota Exterior \  Weired 2K primer problem today?!

Weired 2K primer problem today?!

Yota Exterior Yota Tech
views 839
replies 7
following 4

beyondstockyota   +1y
Okay so some of you might know I'm building an 86 yota. Well today I was cleaning everything before I sealed and painted it. I 2K'ed the whole truck twice and never had this happen. Well when I was whipping the dirt and oil off the hood today I seen a small rock chip, and I am VERY anal about my paint jobs making sure the body work and prep is perfect, so I just took a spray can #5 2K high build primer and held it 3" away from the spot gave it a quick spray and let it dry. I then let it flash and sprayed about 2 or 3 more the build it up.

So I noticed a kind of chemical reaction where it looked much like paint does when you apply aircraft paint remover to a paint job. As if the primer was pulling the paint from the metal. Anyhow it's pissed me off and made me quit for the night, making the paint wait another day....

So my question is, I've used this 2k primer before never has this happened, so did I just hold the can to close causing too much build up?

Keep in mind the truck is an 86, could the paint be just so old it’s reacting to the high build and pulling from the metal?

I'm going to let it dry tonight and try feather edge it down masking it off and laying down several light coats and see what happens.
mulisharider11x   +1y
i assume you shook the can a hellof alot? it could have not been mixed or alot of reducer came out of the can at once...
beyondstockyota   +1y
yeah I assumed that was possible but I made shure the mix was well....

So yesterday I tried everything, feather edging, cleaning well, extremely light coats. NOTHING worked!!! I'm so pissed that a rock chip that I missed has turned into a pain in the a55...

Besides stripping the whole hood down I have decided to put a thin layer of body filler down and block that out hopefully it will turn out this time....
slammedcivicsi   +1y
its called wrinkling, its when the paint will soften the underlying coat of product, and bite underneath.

Now just for your knowledge, the aeresol can of primer you used, weather it says 2k on the can or not......its not a 2k primer.

2k stands for 2 component, its got a K because of a european thing, but its still just a lacquer based 1 component product.

Now to fix your problem you will have to wait for everything to properly cure, then feather edge it, then use a proper 2k highbuild, or possibly either strip off the undercoat, and re apply, If its wrinkling because of an aeresol can, then chances are it will do it with your paint product.

-Brad
beyondstockyota   +1y
I appreciate your information. Even though it's not a 2k high build it's still a rather thick haha. Anyhow, I tried everything I could do. Feather edged it, sprayed REALLY thin coats, and the result was the same everytime; WRINKLES. SO I stripped the whole damn hood after all the work I put into it (shaved the squirters + had a small dent + I blocked it once already) but in the long run it turned out nice after I got it done and painted it.
beyondstockyota   +1y
I appreciate your information. Even though it's not a 2k high build it's still a rather thick haha. Anyhow, I tried everything I could do. Feather edged it, sprayed REALLY thin coats, and the result was the same everytime; WRINKLES. SO I stripped the whole damn hood after all the work I put into it (shaved the squirters + had a small dent + I blocked it once already) but in the long run it turned out nice after I got it done and painted it.
yodaforce   +1y
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. Paint store gave me a "new" quart of reducer with a $185 per quart Chrysler paint color for a customer hood. They said this new reducer they had was the bomb and I would be happier with it than the old stuff I was used to. Turns out, Half the hood wrinkled up on me and gave me another 8 hours of work on it scrubbing off the new wrinkled paint with thinner before I could respray it. Second time around with the old stuff and it turned out fine. Chemical reactions can be your friend, or your worst enemy.
beyondstockyota   +1y
yeah I'm starting to have my share of enemies come my way. If it's not paint wrinkleing it's oil from SOMETHING on my surface. I have narrowed the problem down to my tack rag leaving residue on my surface causing paint to "fish eye" I guess? Anyhow thats just a big pain in the ass as anything else...
Page 1 of 1