Page 1 of 2
Toyota Pickup Projects \  Shop Truck

Shop Truck

Toyota Pickup Projects
views 3293
replies 14
following 6

twisted minis   +1y
Felt like I would share my project with you all, as a lot of you guys watched me build my first truck.

So I picked this truck up in February from Bob Grant. Original plan was just to slap it together and drive it. Thats still basically the plan, but as always I tend to let things get a little out of hand.

I bought a bare 89 clip from Pick-N-Pull, and some used drop spindles.
thread post photo

Kinda jumping around a bit on it. Clip was narrowed.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
twisted minis   +1y
So I have barely touched this thing in a long time. A few months ago I got a bug up my butt and did the exhaust.

Then we put the bed back on to gain a little room in the shop, and the truck became a storage container. But I love the way the tip looks with the bed on.

Last week, I got that bug again to mess with it, in the little spare time I have. I just moved too, so that ate up a lot of time. But I got the frame horns swapped back over to the stock ones and aligned the sheet metal, and adjusted the tilt on the bumper to my preference, so I took a camera pic.

Also picked up a few things for it. I got an automatic transmission, a stand alone ECU for it, an aluminum radiator, and a big shiny transmission cooler to go right behind the grill. Going to do an automatic swap, and looking to do a little to the motor at the same time. A scratch built header may be in its future at some point soon, but only time will tell.

I'm hoping to actually get it running and driving sometime soon. Wish me luck...

So got my AFCO radiator. Polished B&M oil cooler will go in front of it.

Tried mocking the front end up nothing really fits. Think a bumper mount is bent, and I probably need an early core support to run round headlights. Some mounts for the bezels aren't there, they don't line up with anything, and the grill fits terrible. And its an OEM one.

So I think I will be waiting to build radiator mounts until I have that figured out...
baha   +1y
Nice build man. I like how you did the upper rear link bars and the exhaust.
1time   +1y
Nice work!

Can you give any info on that sway bar or which vehicle it's from?
twisted minis   +1y
The rear is the stock one from my 2001 Audi S4, since I upgraded the ones on the car. I used the stock brackets, and sway bar end links from a mid 2000 Nissan Sentra, and made my own mounts. The front is a custom one, and not finished yet.
1time   +1y
Nice!

I didn't notice the rear sway bar.

Very interested in seeing how the front sway bar turns out!
2thpic   +1y
I need your welding skills....
twisted minis   +1y
Just practice, it really comes from "seat time."

And hopefully I will get the sway bar done soon. Its been difficult to fit it under the truck with the tube control arms and all, as well as the Z'd frame and lowered motor. I need to get the shocks mounted first, which I need to do some timely machining first.
truck action   +1y
If any one can do it,it would be you!!
twisted minis   +1y
So the radiator is mounted. I need to run a straightener through the fins. It got pretty beat up in shipping. But I modified the lower hose and built mounts and a fan shroud. Need to add a port for the heater hose.