Page 1 of 1
Toyota Pickup Projects \  my 20r/22r hybrid build up

my 20r/22r hybrid build up

Toyota Pickup Projects
views 4409
replies 6
following 5

hybrid   +1y
ooook my girlfriend bought this old school yota for me for my xmas present,all it needed was new piston rings. ok cool i can do that no problem. well i get the motor out and torn down and find that the top ring on all the pistons are broken and the number three piston had a hole in it!! so i said f*** it i will completely rebuild the bitch.thats exactly what i did, i bought the master rebuild kit from engnbldr.com with the 270 dur. 430 lift cam,over sized stainless valves and upgraded springs. my girlfriend also convinced me to buy the 38/38 weber carb so i get the most out of the engine(man i love her). i sent the block to the machine shop to be bored .040 over,have the deck resurfaced,line bored and the cylinders honed and vated.then had the crank vated and polished and same with the connecting rods.the head of course had it vated and had the valves machined in and installed then pressure tested and resurfaced.the truck already had the hybrid set up but had not been built very well. its the original 78' 20r head with a 81' bottom end with the double roller chain,came with a header,lce billet water pump pulley,and celica tranny swap. now on to the pics!!!!
heres the yota being brought home
thread post photo

and heres the pistons with broken rings,they are laying beside the pistons
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
yoguyda   +1y
No replies yet!? Man this is inspiring! Love the truck! There is just something about "project" vehicles, that get me. Shiny paint and chrome is overlooked and over rated...Give me some of that primer and new parts mixed with the old! It gives your eyes a stopping point and you can really soak up the work that has been put into it.

That engine should scoot pretty good too, if i don't say so myself...What kind of power you think this combo will be making? Compression ratio? Shave the head down at all or just resurfacing?

Wish there were more 22r's to watch on YouTube...I think I've seen em all at least 3X each! lol.

Good luck on the project. Keep us posted:)
vegasyota94   +1y
trade you engines... mine is covered in about 1/4 inch grime. lol
baha   +1y
really good looking build up! Have you put it back in the truck yet?
lmn8   +1y
nice yota how much hp u ythink you'll be makin
hybrid   +1y
looking to atleast achieve 150 hp to the wheels to be realistic. i havent put it back in the truck yet, i pressure tested its cooling system and found a few leaks so i have been eliminating leaks for the time being.
vegasyota94   +1y
keep pix coming... im liking this thread.
Page 1 of 1