threads
Page 1 of 2
Toyota Pickup Projects \  English Wheel Building, On A Budget!

English Wheel Building, On A Budget!

Toyota Pickup Projects
views 3128
replies 14
following 9

twisted minis   +1y
This project cost me a total of $230.

I started with many different sized tubing, you can use whatever size you can acquire. Everything is 1/4" to 3/8" wall. I had very rough plans, only knowing some specifics that I wanted. Like a 36" throat, and a certain wheel height for ease of use. Other than that, I jst went with it.

In this first picture, I have placed the upper bar, and have the upper brace cut.

This is roughly where I wanted things...

I took measurements there, and got it standing.

Then braced it so that it could hold it's own weight, and added the upper wheel.

Now, the upper wheel took a bit of creativity. Rather than goign out and spending over $200 on a nice upper wheel, I opted to go the cheaper, yet still nice, route. I bought a 2.125x6.25 bearing (metric), and machined an axle. The hole in the center was just over 1 5/8", so I started with a chunk of 1 3/4" round stock, and made myself an axle.

[If you do not have a lathe, this could be tricky, and a proper upper wheel may be the cheaper route.]

Here is the wheel and axle, along with the mounting bracketry.

The wheel fits snugly over the axle, but I further insure that it will stay in place with a hard tar-like epoxy. It has not yet moved.
This is how it is attatched to the frame [note: there are now nuts on top of those bolts for added security]

I got a bit creative on the lower adjuster as well. I used a tow-hitch adapter and 2" tube in the center. I also used 1" Acme thread, and nuts for this.

I welded one nut to the 2" tube [I machined it so that 3/4 of the nut sunk into the tubing, for added strength]. I then threaded the Acme thread through the nut, until it was near the other end of the tube. I then welded the lower nut to the Acme thread, seperate from the nut in the tube. This assembly slid down into the tow-hitch assembly, with one boxed end. I made two 3/4" round bar handles, and welded them to another nut. I also drilled and tapped a hole in this nut, for a set screw. I put this handle on the bottom fo the entire assembly, and set it in place. I was now able to adjust pressure/height of the lower anvil with the handle on the bottom. My design allows the anvil to move up/down, without the handle moving up/down.

And here it is, pretty much completed, minus the casters for moving the whole thing around. The casters are a good idea, as the whole thing weighs over 400 lbs...

Here is the cost list:

Upper bearing - $60 (SKF 5313-2PS)
Three lower anvils from Hoosier Pattern - $140
6" of 1 3/4" rod - $8
3 feet of Acme thread, and 4 nuts - $15
Tow-Hitch/2" tube - $6

That adds up to $229. Now, the tubing for the wheel will probably cost you a good deal of money, if you decide to buy it new. I happened upon the pieces I used at a scrap yard, and got them for free because they were all off-cuts.

I hope this can help someone to make an english wheel. They really are worth the effort and money to build one.

Seth
whynotfab   +1y
fuckin awesome.. lol.
twisted minis   +1y
Thanks Ricky. If there are any questions I can answer them. Most people are confused by the lower adjuster. And there are casters on the back now for ease of moving, since this thing is about 6 feet tall, and around 400 pounds.
whynotfab   +1y
So how much would shipping cost on one of these?

lol
twisted minis   +1y
About $17,000.
m_i_zombie   +1y
Dude that thing is built like a house. I paid several grand (Eastwood) for mine and its no where near as solid as that one
twisted minis   +1y
Yea, I heard the Eastwood ones flexed a little, but could be braced and made solid as a rock. Heard they're nice though! But yea, I couldn't afford one, so I built my own.
johnny5   +1y
bad ass man for real
misfit_toy   +1y
thats FN bad ass you do some awsome work . dod u do fab work for a livin or just for fun if is is just for fun u mite want to think about your own small fab shop with the quality of work u put out i am sure u would do rether well for your self
twisted minis   +1y
at this point it's mostly just for fun. I make a ittle money off the bikes here and there. But, legally I couldn't own my own shop yet. Still waiting on my 18th birthday for that one. But some day, I would like to start something.