Page 1 of 2
Max Projects \  engine swaps

engine swaps

Max Projects
views 13438
replies 18
following 9

tsi87supr60   +1y
anybody thinking of engine swaps for their max or 50?
if so what engine?
hampton123   +1y
I put a 5 speed turbo Starion on my christmas wishlist...
john   +1y
Hi tsi87supr60,

I want the do the 4g63t swap.

Here is link for this swap:

You could also do the 2.0 liter dohc non-turbo swap.

John
nreid90   +1y
Im trying to do a 4g63 Evo swap. There is a truck in my area with a 4g63 Twin Cam eclipse swap and from what ive read its not to difficult or costly. thedrifttruck.com is the site he has info about it on...

i just wanna go sidewayzzzz
tnd50   +1y
Im going to be doing a 306, t-5 tranny and 8.8 narrowed rearend
capev86   +1y
blah....short stroke engines suck...no 4g63 for me....

8 valve roller cam 2.4 backed by a 5spd would be my only choice for a cheap daily driver.

on my 87 ram 50 i want to ditch the g52b 2.0 and go with a 260hp/tq mivec 3.8 from an eclipse or gallant with an imported (pajero rwd) r5m31 5spd behind it. a std cab short bed truck with the power to weight ratio of an evo but without the premium fuel demands and plumbing/maintenance headaches of a turbo engine swap. also have good low end response and no turbo lag.
sleeps   +1y
Thats alot of custom parts to be able to do that swap. A 4G63 is perfect because they are everywhere and afteramarket support is ideal. Though the torque would be nice, give it that, but a simple 4G64 SOHC 16V motor with a low boost set up would be nice and fun for the street.
capev86   +1y
dohc setup makes more power, but it also puts it up higher in the rpm band. other problems are the dual cam heads are fwd only and require creative modifying to get them to work on our trucks and also you have an interference engine with a (could go at any time) timing belt. like with my k car, the 8 valve head is non interference so all you have to do is re-align the cam and the crank and put a new belt on.

i already have a turbo engine project.....my 86 aries wagon is getting a '90 2.5 T1 with T2 spec garret turbo, intercooler and plumbing, shelby daytona chassis, spirit r/t 11" 4 wheel vented disc brakes, poly bushings and a few other choice aftermarket goodies to make it even faster and nearly bulletproof (i have most of the parts already). my other vehicle is a 72 suburban c20 w/ a v8 (eventually swapping the 307 for a 406 small block i have) a hot v6/5spd combo would be fun in my ram 50 and make for a great niche vehicle to use in bad weather or when i don't need good passenger capacity. the mitsu is the low guy on the priority list, but when i have some other things done it will be import time!
gringo3825   +1y
I will be doing a 2.4L SRT-4 swap in my MM probably starting in Sept. Would start now but might be moving in july so need to keep it running till we have a final decision. Will be running AEM EMS and a supra 5speed or th350. Norrowed ford 9". Basically I'm going pull my built motor from my 03 SRT-4 and put a stock motor in it and throw my built motor in my MM and put a D50 grill on it and call it a day. My current untuned setup is putting out 400whp in my neon. JMF makes a sheetmetal intake that they can flip the plenum at no extra charge so will be going that route on the intake, cutom header and 3.5" down pipe will be shooting for 700whp in my MM. So that is my plan. Forget those small 1.8-2.0L motors. Might even go through DCR for their 2.6L strocker kit.
sleeps   +1y
You going to make a custom belhousing adapter? Never seen someon use a neon engine in a max or d50.

Capev86: NOte that the montero sports 2.4 from 97-99 also have a sohc but the 16V that have the same style exhause ports as the 63T's. Better tourqe and lower RPM's than the 63. I think that would be a good option, and use that intake manifold, it faces the same way as the MM, right over the top of the valve cover. Decent plumbing option.