Page 2 of 3
Max Projects \  Project 1989 D50 bag and bodydrop

Project 1989 D50 bag and bodydrop

Max Projects
views 8824
replies 22
following 10

hampton123   +1y
not to sound like a noob, but what is the need to cut the firewall and back wall?
tnd50   +1y
when you bodydrop it u have to raise the floor. if you cut the floor at the bottom of the firewall or backwall you will have a gap in the metal to fill in from how the floor curves up instead of being completely square. if you notch it 2inches or however much ur bd'ing it about halfway up the firewall and backwall when the floor raises it basically fills in the gap 4 u
hampton123   +1y
ok i assumed that since you have to cut the floor for the frame, that you wouldnt have to raise the floor
slow50   +1y
lookin good take alot of pics when you bd the bed.
beyond static   +1y
I didnt even think about taking pics during the bed bodydrop. I've bodydropped 5 silverado beds, and the d50 was far more involved. Still not a tough job. Took about 10 hours start to finish. I would have hated to do it without a plasma cutter. I raised the floor 6 3/8", which is close to the max you can cut it and keep the stock wheel wells. Sprayed it with Armour Liner, and it came out great. Durable stuff and its cheap too. I couldnt justify spending $400-500 on a line-x. Still need to shim the bed to get it to align up perfect, but it's getting there.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

I'm thinking about painting the steelies gloss black and adding chrome trim rings and chrome lug nuts. 18's would look perfect on it, but I like the high offset of the steelies and big sidewall. Ride height is set up for about 2" off the ground
slow50   +1y
that looks good. where to you cut the bed? when i was looking at mine when it was off it looked like theres almost like 2 layer to the bed. like you couldnt just cut around the inside of the bed.
slow50   +1y
when you z'd it did you lower to the motor too?
beyond static   +1y
Didnt lower the motor at all. If it was a fuel injected truck, I would have, but my carburetor fits under the hood, and doesnt even rub the hood supports.

This is obviously not a d50 bed, but gives you a decent idea where the cuts were. Under the bed, the bedfloor is connected to the inner and outer bedsides. So I had to cut loose the bedfloor connecting to the bedside. The cut wont be seen unless you get under the truck. Also have to cut out the inner wheel well structure that's only seen from underneath.
thread post photo
slow50   +1y
did you have to cut out the firewall to clear the tires after the body drop?
qballd50   +1y
Looks Really Good Man!!
Going to Be a Clean Reg. Cab When you Get Done!!