Page 1 of 3
Max Projects \  Project 1989 D50 bag and bodydrop

Project 1989 D50 bag and bodydrop

Max Projects
views 8809
replies 22
following 10

beyond static   +1y
Picked up this truck about 2 months ago and have been working on it as time permits. I Z'd the frame 1.5" and did a 2" traditional bodydrop. The a/c and heater fit back in the stock location. The only modifications under the dash was shortening the steering column 1.5" as well as adding 2 u-joints to it to help with the height and angle of the steering wheel since the Z and bodydrop. Seats are out of a 2000 Geo Metro. Up front it has drop spindles and triangulated lowers. Built some bolt in bag cups that are 1.5" tall. The truck is setup to lay out on 185/75/14's (25" tall). Been waiting a month on SD.com to ship out my 4link bars, so the rear hasnt been touched yet. Also have a Weber carb in the mail for it. Now that you're caught up on the progress, here's some pics

thread post photo

I added fish plates to the Z, but dont have any pics with them welded on.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
baha   +1y
Nice project, welcome to the site!
slow50   +1y
thats bad ass. how do you decide where to cut when you do a body drop? i think i might do mine this winter but i still gota z it first. and does 2 inch bd take it to the rocker or pinch?
beyond static   +1y
It will lay rocker. I've seen many different ways to cut the firewall. I cut mine above the factory tubs because I wanted to keep them. I bent them back a little to gain some clearance when I welded them back together. If I was running something like a 27" tire, I most probably would have had to cut them out, and weld in some trailer fenders.
slow50   +1y
cool. do you have any pics of how you did your steering? i think im gona z mine this weekend.
beyond static   +1y
I did it the same way the Hydroholics guys did this one. I installed a heim joint for support on the shaft between the u-joints. Took some time to get right, but it came out nice.
thread post photo
texasfittys   +1y
nice work im ready to see this truck complete
beyond static   +1y
I know this post is useless without pics, but I tacked the 4link into place this evening. Triangulated 4link with bags on bars. Also got my Weber in the mail today. Going to be a week or two before I install it. Thats the last thing on my to do list besides bodydropping the bedfloor 6.5"
beyond static   +1y
Been working on the truck a little bit each day. Got the rear bagged, and wired up the valves and compressors. Still need a few fittings, but most of it is together. Hooked up the Weber 32/36, adjusted the timing, and it runs like a champ. Still need to do something with the exhaust, and tie up a few loose ends, then it's time to bodydrop the bedfloor 6".

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
tnd50   +1y
since the truck in on jack stands how did u hold the cab in position to weld the cab, floor at the rockers, and the firewall