Page 1 of 2
Max Exterior \  aluminum fuel cell?

aluminum fuel cell?

Max Exterior Max Tech
views 2250
replies 10
following 3

808gunner   +1y
aluminum fuel cell goods and bad's,how much will one cost and should i get one because i was thinking about relocating my gas door towards the back of my bed in the bed floor.i have a 89 ram 50 im lowering it but not bagging it ive only seen bagged trucks with these fuel cell's.
droppedmitsu   +1y
If you're not bagging and only lowering and not needing to move the tank I wouldn't waste money on a fuel cell. I would just cut and turn the filler tube(where you put the gas in) 180* and make a hole in the panel on the inside of your bed that covers the filler tube for the filler tube to stick through and bolt up, then shave the stock gas door. It look really clean this way, like it should have came that way stock.
808gunner   +1y
that was one option but i was also going to make a custom box bed rail to bed rail because my truck is a single cab and theres no room for anything in my cab.the way i want the box to be it will block where u said to put the gas.thats why i was thinking of buying a fuel cell have it mounted towards the rear of the bed then drill a hole in the bed where i would put gas. i was also thinking about putting a pop up gas cap so that it would sit flush in the bed.i noticed that the fuel cell are square so it should make it easier to mount to the frame than the stock one right? but money is an option so maybe i might just have to make my custom box shorter than plan it just wont look as nice i think.
droppedmitsu   +1y
You could always make up a new longer filler tube to connect to the stock fuel cap/filler tube and relocate it somewhere else, who knows maybe wheel well or something. Just a thought but yea it wouldn't be too hard to mount a fuel cell at all.
808gunner   +1y
that sound like a good idea to thanks
lowlife340   +1y
I've got a plastic cell in my 88- not a big deal to physically bolt in but the odds and ends will bite you.
-an fittings, hardware to adapt your lines to the cell, incompatibility between the fuel sender/fuel gauge (haven't made it that far myself but I'm sure there will be problems)
droppedmitsu   +1y
yes if you get a fuel cell your fuel gauge will read backwards, it will read correctly just backwards. That is because only a GM sending unit will read like ours, but the way the gauge reads is reversed from our trucks
808gunner   +1y
so if i put a fuel cell it will read empty but be full? and if so how exactly would i need to fix this problem and have it work properly?
droppedmitsu   +1y
yes it will read backwards, full will be empty and empty will be full, half a tank will still be half a tank though lol. There is no way to fix it, no one uses the same ohm readings for the gauge that Mitsu does, GM and Ford senders are the two common aft. fuel gauge senders and ford doesnt work at all I dont think, and GM reads backwards, so atleast it works and we can still track our gas..
808gunner   +1y
i guess i should make a custom gauge face and switch the full and empty around lol!
thanks man