Page 1 of 2
Max Suspension \  Please Help

Please Help

Max Suspension Max Tech
views 3386
replies 16
following 2

castaneda8   +1y
Hey guy's, I haven't been on for a long time. I just recently moved back to Oregon from North Carolina and am now working on my 87 dode ram 50 again. I'm putting stock springs back in because I chopped the previous ones way to much. I was wondering, does the flat part of the coil spring sit on the bottom or top? Do the coil springs from a mighty max work for a d50? Does anybody have drop spindles they want to sell me.
Thank you in advance.
alan   +1y
The flat part of the spring faces up into the spring pocket. There is a round groove in the lower control arm for the end of the spring to line up in. I am pretty sure the springs from the mighty max are the same.
castaneda8   +1y
Thank you. How much will it lower my truck if the bump stops are fully eliminated?
alan   +1y
Are you planning on cutting down a set of stock springs to lower your truck? If so, measure the distance between the end of the spring and the next coil up from it. The distance you measure should give you a good idea how much it will lower the truck from stock height. The diameter of a stock Mitsubishi spring is 4 and a half inches. If you measure your spring from the d50 you will know if the Mitsubishi spring will work. Stylin Trucks sells 2.5 inch Belltech lowering springs for Mitsubishi Mighty Max's for around $200 shipped. I would go this route if you have the money. The spring rate will be hurt by cutting the stock springs down. The Belltech springs are what I have in my truck and I noticed a big difference in the handling especially in cornering. The cut springs I use to run rolled over onto the bumpstops in the cloverleaf off ramps on the highway really bad. I hope this helps.
castaneda8   +1y
Yea it helps alot man. I actually dont want to cut my springs again. I already did that and I absolutely hated it. I've been looking for lowering springs for a while but cant find any. What I am wondering is if just cutting off the bump stops will lower my truck any. I know bump stops are like 3 to 4 inches tall. So I was thinkin maybe I can get a 2 to 3 inch drop just by eliminating them. I want some drop spindles for the future but the cheapest ones I found are $340 shipped. If I can get a hold of those lowering springs for $200 shipped that's way better and than I can get the spindles later. However, Can I use drop spindles with lowering springs? Will that give me a huge drop or will the lowering springs negate the spindles?

Thanks alot in advance and thanks alot for all the info Alan.
castaneda8   +1y
Oh and the problem is I dont have springs from the d50 lol. I have mighty max springs from the junk yard. lol. Let me check it out and also check out the stylin trucks springs. Thanks man.
castaneda8   +1y
Sweet, So I checked out the lowering springs on stylintruck.com and they will absolutley work. That is so much better because they dont cost nearly what the drop spindles do. The thing is, can I get my truck aligned with the lowering springs and drop spindles?
Sorry for all the questions guys it's just that I am kinda in a hurry to fix this thing up and get it back on the road.
alan   +1y
If you cut the bump stops down it will not lower the truck. They are only there to keep the truck from bottoming out (metal on metal). If the cut springs you have now are letting the suspension rest on the bump stops it will definitely ride like crap. I have my bump stops cut as low as I could cut them to allow as much travel as possible in the front. With the belltech springs and the cut down bump stops I have about 2 to 3 inches of travel before the front will bottom out. It takes a huge bump in the road for my truck to bottom out on the bump stops. I had no problem getting my truck aligned after I installed the belltech springs. If you use the spindles and springs both it should lower the truck 4 and a half inches from stock height. The hub on the lowering spindles is located 2 inches higher than a stock spindle. That is what gives you the drop without effecting ride quality. The springs gives you more drop with a sacrifice to ride quality. I would also suggest lowering shocks as well with the springs. Shocks are not necessary right away but will definitely will help the ride quality. While you have the front end apart, I would suggest changing out any bushings that are worn out while you have the chance. They are pretty cheap and you will already have it apart.
castaneda8   +1y
Yea, I got the control arm bushings already. The rest of them look pretty good. Ok. So I have my bump stops cut down pretty low and I am going to order those springs here soon. Prob this week or early next week. So without the shocks is it still a way better ride than cut springs? What shocks do you recomend? The thing is, I am going to bag it in the next year or 2. I dont really want to buy alot of suspension parts if most will go out the door when I bag it. Thats why I want the springs and spindles. I need the spindles and at the moment I need the springs even though when bagging I wont. Thanks for all the help man. Really appreciate it.
castaneda8   +1y
Hey guys. So i oredered the lowering springs yesterday. I am extremely excited. Do you guy know if I am still going to need a coil compressor? I dont think I will seing as they are shorter but I wanted to make sure.