Page 1 of 1
Ranger Exterior \  fuel cell questions

fuel cell questions

Ranger Exterior Ranger Tech
views 1625
replies 6
following 4

tiger   +1y
Since I'll be getting some cash back from the IRS this year, I'm tossing around the idea of getting a fuel cell. Anyone have an idea how much one would cost to get one custom made to fit where I want it--which is under the bed where the spare tire goes? How about getting it to work with the stock fuel pump and fluid level senders? I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as I can, but not be stuck with shitty parts at the same time...
bodydropped85   +1y
getting the stock pump to work and not leak is a bitch.
baha   +1y

depends on how you do it, I glassed mine and it doesn't leak
96rangerxlt   +1y
I am using a 15 gallon aluminum cell in mine and mounted it where the spare tire was stock. Just built some brackets out of some 1x1x1/8 and mounted the cell from the bottom so it drops out. There is also a x-member beneath it to support it. I think a fuel cell like mine runs in the range of $200-250. You'll also need an external fuel pump, MSD model number 2225 which costs around $80. It is an EFI pump rated up to 400 hp and runs my 4.0 just fine. I'm running AN fittings and stainless steel braided lines.

Your cheapest way to setup a fuel cell would be to buy a 10 gallon plastic cell, run the MSD 2225 pump with AN fittings, a small external fuel filter b/t the cell and the pump, and use AN fittings designed for rubber hose. Check with Barnett performance in Atlanta. There number is 1-800-533-1320. They are one of the only stores near Atlanta that sells this kind of stuff.

Heres how mine is setup. The top fitting on the driver's side is the return and the top fitting on the passenger side is going to be the vent. The supply runs out from a sump in the bottom of the fuel cell and the pump is mounted on the driver's side frame rail.

bodydropped85   +1y
F UCK plastic fuel cells they blow ass. spend the money on the nice aluminum one. yea glass will hold on yours changing the pump just saves the head ache and is leak free. now ifyours is returnless you have make a return, even tho it has one off the fuel filter
96rangerxlt   +1y

agreed. I'd definitely go with an aluminum cell. Just don't get a JAZ one, they are just a plastic bladder inside an aluminum case and they don't hold very much gas. The one I have holds 15 gallons and just has a sponge on the inside.
bodydropped85   +1y
mine as the sponge stuff in it to, that keeps the gas from sloshing around like a mofo.
Page 1 of 1