threads
Page 1 of 2
Ranger Exterior \  best way to shave door lock?

best way to shave door lock?

Ranger Exterior Ranger Tech
views 2972
replies 14
following 6

hotboxd   +1y
since my truck got busted into through the passenger side door lock, i'm just going to shave it. what does it require? how should it be "welded?" i heard the metal isn't really good to weld on or something because it's so thin. i dunno though. any help is appreciated.

also, what did everyone use to mount fog lights on a 93-97? i'm at the point where i either need to break down and spend the $180 on a set of fog light brackets from ford, or figure out a cheap way to do it.

thanks.
daweezi   +1y
u shaving the lock and the handle or just the lock?
hotboxd   +1y
the lock only. that's the only thing damaged, and i'm not necessarily doing it for the look, just the fact that the door is fucked, and i'd rather just take the lock out. i still want the functionality of manual doors.
daweezi   +1y
being as i havent welded anything before im no expert but im sure you just take the lock out, find some filler metal about teh size of the lock hole, then tack it into place leaving some time between the welds so you dont warp the metal around the lock whole
bodydropped85   +1y
a quater is about the size of the lock hole maybe smaller.
hotboxd   +1y
sweet. yeah i was thinking about a quarter. should i just use a quarter?

i'll have to just give it a go i guess.
daweezi   +1y
u could also use a washer
dirty   +1y
hotboxd
im gonna go lok for them foglight brackets.
i remember you asked something about the before on rps so ill go see if i cant find them for ya
xxxxcjxxxx   +1y
foglight brackets from Ford r like $80 a piece! hopefully a junkyard can hook u up A LOT cheaper
tiger   +1y
fabbing up some brackets is a piece of cake. Depending on how the fogs mount, a simple L bracket is all you need.

If you use washers, make sure they aren't galvenized. You should never weld galvenized metal without first grinding off the zinc. Melting/burning zinc gives off some real nice toxic fumes.