Page 1 of 2
Ranger Engine \  altenators suck (long)

altenators suck (long)

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 2475
replies 14
following 7

tiffany   +1y
So as a few of you know in April I drove 2 hours to go to a Ranger meet and when I was about 30 minutes away my truck took a shit. I needed a new altenator. One of the guys was nice enough to tow my truck to the meeting spot to get some tools to take the alt off. We (Jason and I) head up to Discount to get a new one while the other guys took the bad one off. When we got back to the Ranger meeting spot we put the new alt in and still nothing. Couldnt even jump it. I needed a new battery. So we went and got a new battery and took the old alt back. well everything was going well except about 6 hours later I was going into this deep ass mudd hole showing off that I couldnt make it in 2wd and when I went to put it into 4wd my truck shut off. Battery dead and alt shot again. The stupid ass who put my alt on didnt hook up the ground. I was ready to kill him. So I had to be pulled out and towed to Discount for another battery and another alt.

(Not sure if I showed you guys this or not yet!)
They were great at that store and exchanged everything for nothing. Well today I went to get food for my mom 10 minutes away, and my battery light came on. My volt meter said Low. I was like wtf?!?!?! SO I went to have it tested and sure enough that piece of shit is dying AGAIN! Had to take it out and take it back and recharge my battery. UGHHHHH its so aggrevating! Its not even 5 months old yet and dead! Im not sure why either. Any suggestions?
xxxxcjxxxx   +1y
blah... thats y u never called me back huh? do you maybe have mud all gummed up sumwhere under your hood? maybe something from wheeling made a ground loose under your hood? it might be easier to pin-point being able to see the problem area
tiffany   +1y
whats weird is that the volt meter was reg then when my truck hit 3.5 RPMs the battery light came on and the more I drove the more the volt meter dropped but the battery light was off as long as the RPMs were under 3. When the alt was tested outside he said it was fine but my battery was dying, which would probably mean that the alt was pulling all the power from the battery and was killing it. oh well problem solved I think *crosses fingers*
baha   +1y
damn and I thought my truck was dirty
spngr311   +1y

Same here; but the dirt and grease on my truck only comes off with sand paper.

Sucks about the alternator. Maybe you need to go with a better one, perhaps an aftermarket one.
tiffany   +1y
fuck that if its free for me to replace I will replace that shit a million times. its only 3 bolts!
itsarealedgeiswear   +1y
Yeah parts store alternators are junk all you get is someone elses rebuilt shit, same way with starters, Your best bet for not being inconvenience would be to get one from Ford or from a similar ranger in a junkyard that hasent been through mudding hell, Just how dirty is it under that truck.
baha   +1y
i bet her truck smells like poop on the outside, stinky mudd
tiffany   +1y
lol yeah nothing like the smell of mudd although I can honestly say that it doesnt smell like poop. anywho I think its my starter not my alt. going to get a new starter and try that out.
spngr311   +1y
Why would the starter cause problems with the charging system while the car is actually running?