Page 1 of 2
Mazda Projects \  Subaru drive train

Subaru drive train

Mazda Projects
views 2881
replies 11
following 7

mazdamafia88   +1y
So.. I'm thinking about doing a Subaru awd drivetrain in a 86-89 mazda b2200 how hard would this be im gonna assume pretty difficult but it would be pretty freakin cool
baha   +1y
Yeah, definitely not a bolt on. I would love to see you pull this off, I think you would be the first one to ever swap a Subaru AWD drive train into a truck but I could be wrong.
mazdamafia88   +1y
That's the only thing that sucks I don't have much for a shop but I got the money part I wanna do majority of the work myself but like you said its not a bolt on and I found 2 but I wanna say they were rwd they never got completed
baha   +1y
Good project to use to expand your skills, I'm not sure what all you have done before but I don't think it would be that bad depending on how comfortable you are with fabrication. After I bought my house, I haven't been able to work on much auto wise so I don't have a lot to back up my "not that bad" comment.
mtrain   +1y
Sounds like a fun project.

As for a garage, can you just add a "lean to" off of one side of your house? Its not going to be a garage that will amaze people, but it will keep the hot sun off your back, not to mention rain, leaves, snow, etc.

What I mean is to go to the longest side of your house, just not the front. Go up above the windows about two, or three feet, and snap a chalk line on the wall going down the length of the wall. The get some 2x6x12's and SCREW NOT NAIL them into the side of the house where you snapped the chalk line.

Judge how wide you want your work area, and then put some 4x4 posts into the ground parallel to the wall of you house that you installed the 2x6's.

Make the length of the 4x4 posts from the ground to be about 8 ft so you can get a truck under it if needed. Connect more 2x6's down the length of the post.

You should be able to use 2x4's as rafters set about two feet apart [to save money]. Screw them to the 2x6's on the house, then let them run across to the 2x6's on the posts, and let them hang over about 2ft.

Add some slats, and the steel roofing of the color of your choice, and now you have a cheap garage. You can always add an outside wall later, and pour a slab of concrete. You can make it long enough for one car for now, and lengthen it for more cars later.

I would say to build that kind of garage first before you attempt any project as you will love being able to work outside, and be dry when its raining/snowing, not to mention you won't have to lay in the mud anymore [if you build it wide enough, and dig a ditch around it.
mazdamafia88   +1y
I have a shop just not much fab equipment in doing a subaru swap it seems I need a whole car im looking for a rear ended one to save some cash
tucknrimmaz   +1y
Fitting a Horizontally opposed engine between the control arm mounts will be very difficult. With such a low center of gravity it will in no doubt hit most, if not everything in the engine bay. My wife has a FRS and that motor would NEVER fit in a factory Mazda frame. Take tons of measurements before you even entertain the idea.
norwoodn   +1y
Put a mazda body on a Subaru drive train lolololol
347 stroker   +1y
I wonder what does low center of gravity have anything to do with the engine not fitting in the engine bay? Besides, who says the frame has to remain factory? Who says the engine has to even be in the engine compartment at all? I can easily imagine this engine being modified into an extended cab in a Cab-Over design... now that would be cool!

I say go for it, and think outside the engine compartment!
mazdamafia88   +1y
It's gonna be done money is issue as of now but it will happen