threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Projects \  1JZGTE non-vvti or 20B-REW twin turbo?

1JZGTE non-vvti or 20B-REW twin turbo?

Mazda Projects
views 5055
replies 11
following 6

Papo The B2200   +1y
I'm leaning more toward the 1JZ...

But, I want something that not many people have done...

So my debate is between the 1JZGTE non-vvti (twin turbo) & a 20B twin turbo.

I know that a 1JZ has been done by someone else on this forum, but that was the VVTI variant.

Granted the VVTI does bring a lot to the table but I like twin over single turbo, & the non-VVTI is only slightly newer than my '89 B2200, it feels kinda right.

Now, rotaries have been dropped into B2200s as far as the eye can see, but so far I've only seen the 13B, so what about a 20B? Hell, it's a fucking 3-rotor which is meh stock, but strap a turbo (or two) on it & it's monstrous. The only issue I tend to have with rotaries, is that there's no interval of rest (both a pro & a con) so it does run much hotter than I'm comfortable with...

1JZ Pros:
-Sound is orgasmic
-Not many people have stuck a 1JZ into a B2200 (someone on the forum has before, & some guy on YT has the 1JZGE non-VVTI in his, but I have yet to see a 1JZGTE non-VVTI in one.)
-Good power
-Good torque
-Twin turbos with minimal lag
-It's a fucking 1JZ!!

Cons:
-It's more expensive
-One PCV on the head (non-VVTI issue only, & can be fixed with an oil catch can)
-CT12A's tend to blow due to blow-by gases (an issue that can be resolved with a catch can)
-Parts can get a little pricey.
-R154 combos are way more expensive
-Exhaust manifold is on the other side
-I am uncertain as to how it'll withstand E85 (should be fine, but uncertainty worries me)

20B-REW (twin turbo) Pros:
-Sound is orgasmic
-3-rotor
-Less expensive
-No interval of rest unlike a conventional internal combustion engine
-3x the combustion per rotor
-Mazda + Mazda = Logic
-You have to wind it out to make the most out of it. (I like a motor that's a little bit of bitch to work with, because rotaries have trouble generating power & torque in the low-mid range you need to utilize all of it to make the best of it! I love it, call me weird but that shit is awesome!)
-It's a fucking 20B-REW!!

Cons:
-No interval of rest, causing extreme heat
-From my understanding, rotaries cannot use synthetic oil. (Thank god RE Amemiya supplies mineral oil)
-Not many people work on them
-Pain in the ass to get a hold of in the U.S.
-Cheap to buy, expensive as hell to modify.
-Tends to leak oil more than a conventional engine.

I'm only looking for 450hp, but I still want to be that one guy who's considered fucking ballistic for trying something this different, especially for drifting.

Let me know what you think would be the best course of action.

I'm still leaning towards the 1JZ though.

If I could afford an RB26 then I wouldn't be asking about either, but the RB26 will come in due time for another project.

And please no "get a V8 or SR20"

V8's are heavy as fuck & throw off weight distribution, SR20s are an amazing & cheap platform to work on, but I've seen them thrown in just about everything (Honda Ruckus, Mustang, Smart Car to name a few) & they sound a little monotone to me..
norwoodn   +1y
Toyota.
dirtlord420   +1y
I've owned a few mk3s all 7m though. I think your problem will be with the length of the jz. also the r154 is a pretty big transmission, the w58 is small but cant handle the hp. I know for a fact the stock transmission for the b2200 is way smaller then the w58. that's going to be a lot of weight on the front end and not much in the rear end. just fitting all this would be a lot of work, like the radiator would have to be in the grill. the motor mounts would have to be moved forward. also does a walbro fuel pump fit in the tank? or a fuel cell? but if you could get all of the balanced right it would be very bad ass. I miss my old supra all the time.

I thought about putting a 7m in a b2200 but I was told it would be cheaper with some kind of v8 I cant remember witch one.
Papo The B2200   +1y
@dirtlord420 I've got it all marked up, placement & fitment won't be an issue,
& I've got a fuel cell in its box.

I also have a set of heavier wheels in the back, & I bought an LSD for it.

I've done the weight distribution mock ups, & if everything is right, I should have a 53:47 distribution.

If I left everything as is after the 1JZ the distribution would've been 58:42.

I still need to check the center of gravity though.
dirtlord420   +1y
wow that's cool. how is the r154 going to fit? are you going to have to cut the fire wall? the intercooler and oil cooler should be easy to do. are you using a jdm jz? I was curious not that it should matter but the jdm has a shorter harness then a usdm car. also what are you going to do for front suspension? I think the exhaust manifold being on the other side would be a plus, just bc of the brake master cylinder being the close to it. if your in my area Tullahoma tn they have a r154 sitting in the junk yard. I don't think anyone knows what it is around here lol. am out of the supra game unless I can find a rust free 85 0r 84.
Post was last edited on Aug 29, 2015 11:08. This post has been edited 1 times.
Papo The B2200   +1y
@dirtlord420 JDM, I'm actually cutting the old transmission tunnel out, & welding a new one up entirely to fit the R154. Sometimes the most complicated shit ends up being more worth it.

Suspension: I'm actually welding on a Gen VII FD3S subframe, suspension, steering geometry, brakes, rear end, & everything in between onto my B2200.

Remember how I said "I want to be that guy who's considered fucking ballistic for doing something this different"?
Chalk that up there.
Post was last edited on Aug 30, 2015 04:08. This post has been edited 1 times.
dirtlord420   +1y
post some pics when you get started. my grandpa put a old inline 6 tractor engine in a old ford pick up a 80s smoothing ranger about the size of a b2200. he also cut out the transmission tunnel. some times I think he did it jus to show it off to his friends to prove it can be done. that truck is so simple now. is the truck in your sig going to be the one your using?
befarrer   +1y
20B?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/papsmagu/20B%20REPU/IMG_1951_zpsa8b54f13.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/papsmagu/20B%20REPU/IMG_1958_zps5e7c6861.jpg

It appears I am unable to get the pictures to display as pictures, but only links, so click on the thinks, 74 REPU with a 20B, non-turbo.

If you go 20B, it will not take much turbo to get to 450HP, but you are better off with a single turbo.
Post was last edited on Aug 30, 2015 02:08. This post has been edited 2 times.
mymmeryloss   +1y
Rotary and cheap do not go together. Also good luck fitting twins in there. Single turbo is way better on anything.
befarrer   +1y
Yeah, fitting 2 turbo's on 3 exhaust pipes, better off going triple turbo, and that is not cheap, tons of fabricating, and trying to control that...Single turbo would be way cheaper, easier, and probably make as much or more power.