Page 1 of 2
Mazda Projects \  New member in Las Vegas with a 89 Mazda B2200

New member in Las Vegas with a 89 Mazda B2200

Mazda Projects
views 3191
replies 10
following 6

blueb2200   +1y
Hello everyone, I just picked up my 89 B2200 yesterday and I have a few projects to complete right away. The truck overheats after driving for a while, so I imagine that I need to replace the water pump and timing belt. There are a bunch of kits on eBay; are those legit? I am also hearing a rattling noise in the rear, so I will definitely be troubleshooting that. Overall I got the truck for a very low price and will be using it to drive back and forth to work. Only downside is "NO AC" in a place that gets hotter than heck. Maybe I will look to do an AC install at some point, after poking around the forums for tips. Thanks and I look forward to interacting with everyone.
mymmeryloss   +1y
Welcome! I just ran to Vegas to grab a new truck this weekend.
Cusser   +1y

Huh ??? I doubt that the water pump and timing belt are involved with this overheating issue, but since you just got the truck and likely have zero idea when the timing belt was actually changed last, not a bad thing to do.

I'm in Arizona so know your climate, but I need to ask:
1. How long in minutes does it take to overheat?
2. Does it overheat in city driving, or on the highway?

You see, your overheating issue is much more likely to be due to the age/condition of your radiator and fan clutch, with minor chance of it being due to thermostat, radiator cap, or missing fan shroud.
sincitylocal   +1y

Bastard!
Just like my family... come to town without letting me know til yer gone.

BTW blueb, I'm Ann & Decatur area if you ever need a hand.
mymmeryloss   +1y

I went to a local car show saturday and decided to drive down after. We left at 6 pm and just stayed at a truck stop in my Dodge. I did think about hitting you up but didnt want to be a bother. Then we woke up and made the deal and i loaded the truck and headed home. Sorry man
sincitylocal   +1y
Just giving you grief. Sarcasm.
blueb2200   +1y

Actually it is more on the highway. Whenever I am running 55mph or higher that is usually when the truck starts to overheat.
blueb2200   +1y

I could definitely use it. I can usually figure things out, but I would much rather have help from some one that knows a thing or two.
sincitylocal   +1y
Pm your number and I'll give you a call.
befarrer   +1y

I'd suspect the radiator. Probably partially plugged, not cooling enough.