Page 1 of 1
Mazda Projects \  Lifter tick problem

Lifter tick problem

Mazda Projects
views 1685
replies 7
following 5

tsusee   +1y
Hi all, so I installed the usual weber 32/36 carb and pacesetter headers and it has started to tick like no other. I'm driving it somewhat normally (you gotta test out the new parts right?) and it has never ticked so bad from the 3 years of owning it. Hell with the stock parts it hardly ever ticked. Just seeing if anyone has an idea or knows what's up.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
You drove it so hard you broke it. Try putting an oil filter on it with an anti-drainback valve and see if that helps. You can try to clean the lifters or replace them because they aren't too expensive.
applianceguy   +1y
So, I googled "tweaker" and this came up...,

thread post photo

" target="_blank

Scary!
befarrer   +1y
Is it ticking at idle, or under acceleration/load? Its not an exhaust gasket leak? I think the pacesetter gaskets are crap, they are for the rotary anyway. Leaking gasket at the head will cause a ticking noise under load.
tsusee   +1y

It ticks at idle, not under acceleration though. I didn't use the pacesetter gaskets I used metal ones so I'm sure there's no leaks.
scotch   +1y
How long was the truck parked while you were doing the carb and header swap?

The longer it sits without running, then the more a lifter(s) is going to bleed down and therefore take longer to pump back up.

You have plenty of oil in it, correct? And the oil pressure light works, and then goes out when the engine is cranked?
tsusee   +1y

I did the carb and headers at different times so it was sitting only a few hours. I've checked the oil level multiple times and it's right where it should be and yes the light works.
befarrer   +1y
Louder radio? Lol. I think I read somewhere that one of the causes for the noisy lifters was oil galleries too small in the head, and the lifters not getting a constant flow of oil, the small oil galleries would plug easily and restrict the flow even further. I think the newer engines & castings were revised to have larger oil holes going to the lifters.
Page 1 of 1